Jake remains unbeaten

WESTON Boxing Club made their first excursions for 2010 and were not wholly successful.

WESTON Boxing Club made their first excursions for 2010 and were not wholly successful.

Firstly, 21-year-old ground worker Mitchell McSweeney travelled to Plymouth, to box Pilgrim ABC boxer Angelo Crowe.

Crowe, the same age as Mitchell, has a good record, and Mitchell, who was competing in his first contest for a year, gave Crowe respect in the first round.

The second round saw both boxers having their moments of success, and the third round was a better one for Mitchell as he blew away the cobwebs and started to counter more with the overhand right.

You may also want to watch:

Unfortunately it was not enough as the judges found in favour by a split decision for Crowe.

Four Weston boxers travelled to Bromsgrove near Birmingham, to compete against Droitwich.

Most Read

Making his debut was 11-year-old Congresbury's Sam Higgins, who put on a good display for his first contest and made it a close contest.

All three judges found in favour for the home boy, but it could have gone either way it was that close.

Twelve-year-old Wyvern schoolboy Bradley Warwick was next in, looking for his first win, but unfortunately it was not to be this time. He put up a gallant effort against the stronger and more experienced John O'Toole and the judges again found in favour for the home boy.

Roofer Nick Stathers (28), from Clevedon made his debut in the black and gold of Weston against Oliver Dean.

The first round started well for the home boy as he caught Nick cold giving him a standing eight count inside the first minute, but from there onwards Nick controlled the contest, showing some advanced skills for a debutant.

When the result was announced, the bloodied and bruised Dean had his hand raised, to Nick's dismay and that of his coaches John Cleary and Keith Ambrose.

It was left to Weston's middleweight 18-year-old Jake Giddings, currently unbeaten as a senior boxer, to try and get some success for Weston.

His opponent was tough Irish lad Sam Goran, who was in great physical condition. Jake remained composed and just before the bell to end the first, Jake was clocked with a big right.

Goran came out strongly at the start of the second, but Jake knew his opponent would not be able to keep up his relentless pressure and when the opportunity arose, Jake opened up Goran, punching from different angles.

Jake was reminded by his corner that a big round was needed. He went out for the third and hammered home the message as the referee stepped in to save Goran as he wobbled in his corner.

Weston will be out again on February 28 as Mitchell makes an attempt at the Senior National ABA light-heavy title.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus