Jamie wins county monthly award
- Credit: Archant
Jamie Howson from Lympsham has been named as the inaugural winner of the Somerset Cricket Board player award for May.
LYMPSHAM cricketer Jamie Howson has been named as the inaugural winner of the Somerset Cricket Board player award for May.
Howson, who plays his cricket in Division 4 of the Best Western Shrubbery Hotel Somerset League, was nominated by his team-mates after scoring 413 runs in just four league matches in May at an average of 138.
The 23-year-old started his season with 129 against Staplegrove, followed by 65 against South Petherton, 129 not out against Curry Rivel and 90 against Horrington on the final day of the month.
In addition, he also took seven catches in his four games to seal a great month which sees Lympsham sitting pretty on top of the division.
You may also want to watch:
On notification of his award, a modest Jamie Howson, who lives in the village just 100 yards away from the ground where he has always played his adult cricket said: “It’s been quite a good month, and I was looking to do well this year. I worked on Saturdays last year and didn’t get to play much, but I have changed jobs this year and can now play every week which is great.”
The award winning batsman and his girlfriend went to the County Ground last Sunday for day one of the LV Championship match against Sussex, and enjoyed a three-course meal and a bottle of wine, all courtesy of Somerset County Cricket Club, as the main prize for becoming May’s player of the month.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 4 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 8 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 9 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 10 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus