Jets grounded by high-flyers

PUBLISHED: 11:43 08 August 2018

Weston Jets.

Weston Jets.


Weston Jets were well beaten by high-flying Plymouth Mariners in the South West Baseball League.

Weston Jets travelled to Plymouth to take on the high-flying Mariners in the South West Baseball League.

With the Mariners pushing for their fourth divisional, title it was always going to be one of the most difficult games of the season for the newly-formed Jets.

The Jets first three batters were quickly struck out in the first inning, while the Mariners quickly scored 14 runs in their half of the inning to hammer home their superiority.

The second inning started a little better for the Jets with Darrell Capille getting the team’s first hit, but again the team were all out quickly and the Mariners replied with another nine runs of their own.

Jets pitcher Mantas Sulin bravely struggled in the sunshine to keep his team in the game, throwing ball after ball and having some successes, but also allowing lots of free walks as his accuracy faltered as his arm tired.

Sulin was also not helped by the fielding errors his side committed which allowed the Mariners to keep the score line ticking over in the home team’s favour.

Glimmers of hope kept appearing however, David Coe made an great catch in left field and third baseman Lee Sargent had two good hits, but unfortunately luck also seemed to be against the Jets as Chris Taylor was unlucky to be out on two occasions after getting on base.

Big hits from infielders Daniel Kirby-James and Kev Robson may have led to runs but for a matter of inches.

Lee Sargent relieved Sulin in the sixth inning and pitched a strong inning to retire the Mariners but entering the seventh and final inning, the Jets were 45-0 down and facing a shutout which looked even more assured when their first two batters were quickly struck out.

But then an unlikely hero stepped up. Substitute Roger Saddington making his first batting appearance of the afternoon came to the plate and hit a fine single to keep the game alive.

With the Jets bench cheering and shouting encouragement, the Mariner’s pitcher faltered and allowed the next two Weston batters free walks onto the bases and when Robson held his nerve and was walked also, Saddington crossed to score the Jets first run.

Weston scored one more before Taylor unfortunately struck out to end the game. The final scoreline was 45-2 to Plymouth, but Saddington’s heroics left the Jets to travel home in good spirits having avoided an unwanted whitewash.

Elsewhere around the league, the St. Austell Claycutters lost 59-2 to Taunton Muskets and Exeter Spitfires defeated Bristol Bats 26-4.

Next up for the Weston Jets is a home game at Hutton Moor (Robson Field) against ExeterSpitfires on Sunday. First pitch at noon.

Come along in the sunshine and enjoy a few innings of baseball and cheer on your home town team or if you would like to try out a new sport, training is on every Tuesday evening just contact the club via social media.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Weston Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Weston Mercury