Job well done for Winscombe Ladies
Winscombe Ladies 2nds 5 Bridgwater Ladies 2nds 1 - WINSCOMBE came away from this game knowing that it was job well done.
Winscombe Ladies 2nds 5
Bridgwater Ladies 2nds 1
WINSCOMBE came away from this game knowing that it was job well done. Having gone into the game confident of getting the three points, they did not disappoint their fair weather supporters.
Winscombe started strongly and were fast off the mark with a well worked goal from Becky Matthews. However, Bridgwater responded quickly and it was soon 1-1 after a heavy protest from their captain for a foul on the goal line.
You may also want to watch:
This did not affect the concentration of the Winscombe back line and Jenny Elliot had an impressive game in goal to prevent any further attack. Julie O'Sullivan and Jo Hann worked well at clearing their lines with Roisin Nigh and Lucy James giving good wide line support.
Both teams came out strongly in the second half and many a battle was won from strong performances in midfield from Gail Izzard and Hannah Folkes. With the score line still at 1-1, it was a tense atmosphere but when Gabi Richardson slotted home a reverse stick shot to take the home team into the lead, it started to go Winscombe's way.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 5 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
This was closely followed by an attacking short corner that was eventually put away by Trudie Lynham. Although the score line was looking good for Winscombe, the game was still not won as Bridgwater attacked well and were strong in their counter attacking. And when it looked like Bridgwater could get back into the game, Elliot had other plans. Nothing was going to get to the back of her goal.
From a counter attack, the Winscombe forward line used their skill and strength to allow Richardson to convert her second of the game. Winscombe were not quite finished and with the last attack of the game, Matthews found a well positioned Megan Hyden who scored her first goal for the 2nd XI.
Well done to the whole squad for a stand out performance of the season. Player of the match was Gabi Richardson.