Junior doubles tournament at Woodland
- Credit: Archant
Woodland Tennis Club held a junior doubles tournament at the headquarters in Weston.
THE juniors at Woodland Lawn Tennis Club, Weston, enjoyed a day of competition when they took part in a doubles tournament.
The whole day was organised by four of the juniors, Jonathan Clarkson, Lydia Buckingham, Callum Clemons and Stephie Buckingham, who are all working towards their LTA tennis leaders’ qualification.
The first eight rounds took the format of a round robin after which the top eight scoring juniors went through to the semi-final play-off.
The first semi-final saw Tom Deverson partnered by Lydia Buckingham, taking on Louis Glimstead and Josh Deverson. Tom and Lydia soon got into their stride and their consistent play resulted in a decisive victory.
You may also want to watch:
The second semi was a much closer affair, going to a tie break. Michael Gray and Daniel Davies took an early lead over Alex Price and Stan Pincott, but Alex and Stan’s determination paid off and they managed to edge a win.
The final saw some impressive play by Tom and Lydia. The power of Tom plus the accuracy of Lydia proved too much for Alex and Stan. They did not drop a game and won the title and the cup.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 7 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 8 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 9 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 10 WIN: Tickets to UK Pink Floyd at Weston Playhouse
The event was sponsored by Baseline Sports and owner Richard Davies was delighted to provide the cup and support the juniors. He said: “I was a junior at Woodland too, so it is lovely to be able to encourage the next generation of tennis players and get them involved in competition.”
For more information on the club and its activities, contact membership secretary Judy Cannon on 01934 629819 or visit the website at www.woodlandtennisclub.co.uk