Junior swimmers dominate open meet
Weston Swimming Club dominate Bristol North’s junior open meet.
THE Olympic swimming season started for Weston swimmers with the madness that is Bristol North’s Junior Open Meet.
The coaches at Weston like to see how everyone is doing at the start of the season, so enter multiple teams into this event. Not only is this a test for the swimmers, but also for the team managers, who volunteer to help dozens of swimmers to be in the right place at the right time.
The afternoon session for the nine and 11-year-olds, started better than ever imagined with the finals seeing all of Weston’s relay teams taking first place. The highlight being two eight/nine-year-old boy’s teams, when no other club with the exception of Keynsham could field a single team.
In addition to the dominant display of team depth, individual event winners included Rachel Anderson (50m butterfly), Toby Daniel (25m butterfly) and Will Daniel (100m freestyle). Winning silver medals were Rachel Anderson and Toby Daniel (50m backstroke) and Will Daniel (100m breaststroke).
You may also want to watch:
Also making finals were Jessie Dadds (third, 100m breaststroke), Joe Thorne and Natasha Edmondston-Low.
The evening session, for the 10 and 12-year-olds, brought more teams qualifying for finals, showing that Weston have a large number of quality swimmers.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
In both the 10 and 12-year-old girls’ relays, Weston took second and sixth place. The 10-year-old boy’s also achieved a great second place, with the 12-year-old boy’s narrowly missing out in fourth.
Individual event winners included Becca Lucas (100m backstroke) and Immy Moroney (50m breaststroke). Immy also won a silver medal (50m freestyle) and big sister Jasmine took bronze (100m backstroke).
The highlight of this session was the 12 year girls’ 100m butterfly, when the final included five Weston swimmers and finished with a Weston 1-2-3 following impressive personal bests from Jasmine Moroney, Millie Dadds and Ellie Wallace.
The Open Meet concludes next Saturday with Weston hoping to win more silverware for the trophy cabinet.
For more information regarding club swimming from LTS (firstname.lastname@example.org) up to National Level (email@example.com) in Weston, please contact Tina or Rachel.