Karny's Clan gain revenge
BILLIARDS - THREE outstanding performances were seen in the final of the Wrington Vale Billiards 49 Cup this week.
THREE outstanding performances were seen in the final of the Wrington Vale Billiards 49 Cup this week.
Congresbury were seeking a treble after victory in the League and Cannons Team Cup, whereas Karny's Clan were keen to put one over on their old rivals.
The draw pitched the Clan's Mike Allen against Dave Larner in the opening game and Mike made the better start as Dave struggled to get going but once he got into his stride, Dave started scoring consistently as Mike's normal fluency deserted him. A fine break of 33 consolidated Dave's position as Mike failed to clear his negative handicap giving the opening game to Congresbury by a massive 201 points.
Tina Owen-Sevilton was next up for the Clan against Irving Prowse and this saw a reversal of the first game with Tina scoring consistently leaving Irving with little to go for. In the end Tina outscored Irving by over two to one and a 150-29 victory saw her cut the deficit to 80 points.
You may also want to watch:
With experienced Reuben Hurse playing anchor man for Congresbury, they were still favourites for the cup, despite Justin Cole's reputation. However, Justin turned in a masterclass of billiards and while the really big break did not mature, he knocked in nine breaks over 20 including some scintillating shots and leaving Reuben safe on numerous occasions.
Towards the end Justin slowed up and Reuben put a few runs together, but the damage had been done and a 162-point win for Justin saw the Clan take a deserved victory by 82 points in an amazing comeback.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
The winter league has now finished, but Wrington Vale Billiards players do not rest on the laurels for the summer, as the Summer Flotsam League, founded by former president Brian Rossiter, starts this week with six teams ready to do battle in a fun summer series of games.
Breaks: Justin Cole 41, 39, 31, 30, 22, 21, 20, 20, 20; Dave Larner 33; Tina Owen-Sevilton 24; Mike Allen 20.