Kevin promoted to Football League referee list
- Credit: Archant
Kevin Johnson, a 37-year-old from Weston, has been promoted to the national referees list.
WESTON referee Kevin Johnson reflected on his exciting elevation to Football League refereeing status and enthused: “I can’t wait to get started.”
The 37-year-old has been promoted to the Level 1 National Referees List, one of only four officials in the country to make the grade this term. It means Johnson, who is already running the line in the Football League, will be thrust increasingly into the spotlight as the man in the middle from the start of the 2014-15 programme.
Johnson glowed: “It’s an exciting feeling, to be involved at that level of football, and it’s an ambition fulfilled. I can’t wait for the fixtures to come out and I can’t wait for my first game.
“I can see myself starting off in League One and League Two and then, all being well, progressing to a Championship game or two.”
You may also want to watch:
Now his biggest headache is fitting his busy soccer schedule around his young family and daytime duties, working in property maintenance.
Johnson said: “I’m lucky that I have a supportive and understanding wife in Rachael, who has to put up with a lot given we have four kids, Callum (16), Harrison (4), Cameron (2) and Eleanor (1).
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
“I’ve had great support too from people like Steve Dunn, a former Premier League referee from Bristol who acts as a senior coach to me. Steve watches many of my games and is always there with his advice, while Richard Mellin, who is a training and development officer at the Somerset FA, has been a big help too.
Asked whether he too harboured hopes of refereeing in the Premier League before full-time is blown on his career, Johnson replied: “My main ambition is to become an established League referee. If it goes well for me, then who knows what the future might bring?”
By Simon Parkinson.