Kewstoke Lions held to a draw in local derby

Soccer Worlev NailseaUtd.

Soccer Worlev NailseaUtd. - Credit: Archant

Kewstoke Lions were held to a draw by Uphill Castle in a local derby.

Kewstoke Lions 3

Uphill Castle 3

BOTH teams shared a point following this entertaining game with Kewstoke fighting back from 3-1 down with 15 minutes to go.

Uphill were the better team in the first-half, full of running and neat passing. The opening goal was a gift from Kewstoke who failed to clear. Leon Brueford equalised with a flicked header from a long Aaron Bray throw.

You may also want to watch:

Uphill kept pressing and another bit of sloppy play allowed Uphill to take the lead again with an excellent finish.

Kewstoke were better in the second half, but were still struggling to track runners. The lead was extended when Uphill scored from 20 yards.

Most Read

The introduction of Nick Daniels and Ben Popperwell was crucial as a Daniels free kick found the far corner and soon after Popperwell’s near post flick on found Bray, who powered home the equaliser.

Popperwell nearly snatched all three points at the death, but his diving header went agonisingly wide.

The Windsor Pub man of the match went to captain Brueford.

Worle 2

Nailsea Utd Res 1

WORLE won this early season return fixture and went top of the league, courtesy of two fine strikes.

Worle dominated large parts of this game, but chances were squandered. Nailsea were looking to counter attack and their pace nearly caused problems for the home defence of Potter, Crandon, Sprague and Gibbons.

Midway through the first-half, the breakthrough came when Flynn picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and his rasping drive gave the keeper no chance. Further chances fell to Rendall, Hodrien and Downs, but Worle held a single goal advantage.

Ryan Hodrien settled Worle’s nerve when he brought the ball down in the 18 yard box, flicked the ball over the oncoming defender and coolly placing his shot past the despairing keeper.

Ryan Downs created numerous chances before Worle let Nailsea back into the game with 10 minutes left, when Gibbons’ back pass was intercepted to give the away side some hope.

Worle go to Uphill Castle in good form and a large crowd is expected for a 3pm kick-off.

Winscombe 6

Clevedon Utd 4

WINSCOMBE scored six goals for the third consecutive game, beating Clevedon 6-4.

Clevedon started well and went up after just 30 seconds and scored again after six minutes. It could have been worse, but a fantastic save from Paige halted Clevedon’s charge.

Winscombe reduced the deficit when Clark, who was magnificent all game, scored. Haynes hit the bar with a 25-yard strike before Clevedon went 3-1 after a defensive error and then Winscombe made it 3-2 in the 35th minute with a header from Hosey.

Five minutes into the second half and Clevedon scored again. Two minutes later, Hughes netted for Winscombe, his first in two seasons.

Manager Barker brought on three substitutes and it worked out well when Hutchinson scored to make it 4-4. Clark then rounded the keeper to score from an acute angle and completed his hat-trick from the spot, after Flint was brought down in the box.

Winscombe fish bar man of the match was Jack Clark.

Churchill Club 70 6

Burnham Utd Res 3

CHURCHILL registered their first league victory since November 2013 in a 6-3 success over Burnham.

Churchill’s new back line of John Tee Boon, Dan Nelson, Benji Jones and Paul Dolbear stood firm in front of Chris James.

The midfield played well which made the game easier for Fozzard and Blakemore up top and it was these two who combined to score the opening goal when Fozzard coolly slotted home after good work by Blakemore. Fozzard and Blakemore got the hosts back in front when Blakemore set up Fozzard again.

Just before the break, it was Fozzard’s turn to set up Blakemore, who scored from a free kick.

The Fozzard and Blakemore show continued in the second half as both got a goal apiece. Burnham pulled another goal back, Jones strode out of defence and set up Mike Gouldney to make it 6-2. Burnham had the final say when they scored from a penalty.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter