Kewstoke through to the quarter-finals

Kewstoke Under-14s reach the quarter-finals of the cup after beating Backwell Athletic.

KEWSTOKE Under-14s progressed to the quarter-finals of the cup with a resilient display at Backwell Athletic.

Kewstoke needed a disciplined display to contain Backwell, but could have taken the lead when Eardley was put through on goal by Harding, only to be kept out by a great save.

In the second half, Kewstoke applied early pressure and the only goal of the game came when a long throw from keeper Burford was met by Eardley, who headed over his defender, raced clear and beat the Backwell keeper with a low drive.

Backwell almost equalised only for Burford to make a fine save. The remainder of the game was an exciting encounter, but Kewstoke finished strongly to progress.

You may also want to watch:

The Under-12s travelled to Long Ashton and the deadlock was broken with a superb goal from Danny Cass, but Long Ashton equalised three minutes later.

Kewstoke settled into some excellent one-touch football, allowing Cass to score his second. Long Ashton had several attacks, but were stopped by defenders Tyler Midgely, Adam Rogerson and James Parsons. Josh Harrison and Jay Nevison combined for Cass to score his third goal.

Most Read

The second half saw Long Ashton on the defensive again with Nevison setting Mitch Chadwick free, but he was brought down for a penalty. Captain Sam Chattwood converted the penalty to take Kewstoke into a 4-1 lead.

Minutes later Chadwick slotted home the fifth goal. Kewstoke keeper Josh Harrison was tested again before Jack Anelay was next to score.

Kewstoke dominated the midfield with excellent play from Stevie Baker and Joel Wills, who went on to set Anelay up for his next goal. Long Ashton scored their second goal, giving a final score of 7-2 to Kewstoke. Man of the match was Jay Nevison.

The Under-11s came away with all three points against Burnham Athletic. An early goal from Matty Frost gave Kewstoke the lead after some good work from Ashley Hastewell and Jake Dunn.

Szymon Swiercrwna soon made it two with a well-taken free kick before Burnham scored just before the break after Daniel Layden had made a great save, but Burnham were first to the loose ball.

After the break, Kewstoke started to move the ball around with Jack Howard, Swiercrwna, Adam Bungay and Ryan Hill all involved, well supported by Carrick Flint and Joe Morrish.

The goal of the game came from the back, goalkeeper Layden releasing quickly with Sam Ford scoring after some good passing. Thomas Perry marshalled his defence of Tim Page and Evan Brunsdon well throughout.

The Weston Building Contractors Ltd man of the match was Szymon Swiercrwna.

The Under-10s A team went behind against Priory Pumas in this cracking cup match. However, two quick goals from Liam Horsnell put Kewstoke in front.

With second half goals from Lloyd Chudley and Lewis Paterson, Kewstoke sat comfortably at 4-1 up, but Pumas fought back with two goals and threatened to equalise, but good defending by Robin Crundwell and Jacob Chapman kept them out as Kewstoke won 4-3.

WESTON Town Under-14s produced a superb performance to knock out Division 1 leaders Portishead in the cup.

Although Weston are top of Division 2, they immediately put the visitors under pressure, allowing Dan Berry to test the keeper. Weston’s defence all performed strongly, with Jack Hockey marshalling the back line superbly.

The second half continued in the same manner with both teams probing hard to breech the defences and the opening goal duly arrived when Berry was put through by Rico Canella to beat the keeper.

The lead only lasted less a minute as Portishead equalised straight from the kick-off. This put Weston on the back foot and they had to rely on a fantastic save from goalkeeper Killian Vick to keep the scores level.

Weston then opened up the visitors and Ben Sampson hit a powerful shot past the keeper. Weston were unlucky not to increase their lead when Berry saw his shot hit the bar, but with midfielders Jamie Ramplin and Jake Marshman working hard, Weston were able to hold on for a fantastic victory.

The Mercedes Benz man of the match trophy was awarded to Kieran Knapp.

SECOND-placed Worle Under-13s entertained Backwell Wanderers who were third.

Worle conceded an early goal, but equalised through Josh Trowbridge and took the lead when Lucas Elliman netted, before Backwell fought back and equalised on the stroke of half-time.

After the break, Backwell were always one score ahead, but JT scored from the spot and Lucas added two more complete his hat-trick as the game finished 5-5.

Trowbridge Plumbing and Heating man of the match was Aaron Lawrence.

THIS top-of-the-table clash between Weston Crusaders Under-12s and Yatton saw Crusaders gain a crucial home victory.

Crusaders opened the scoring after five minutes when Thomas beat the keeper. The midfield of, Thomas-Barker, Shipway, Morteo, Redding and Havard controlled midfield with the back five of Rac, Buxton, Bonner, Denyer and keeper Burgess dealing with what little Yatton had to offer.

Midway through the first half, Thomas was brought down in the box and Thomas-Barker made it 2-0 from the spot.

Changes were made at half time with Ellis-Barker and Sontaro into midfield and Cox at right back. Yatton never gave up and scored against the run of play. With 10 minutes left, a cross from Thomas was half cleared, but the ball struck Ellis-Barker on the back and deflected into the net.

Five minutes later Crusaders awarded a second penalty, when Thomas was brought down. Thomas-Barker dragged the ball wide from the spot and the final score remained 3-1 to Crusaders.

Weston Crusaders man of the match went to Elliott Shipway.

The Under-11s took on Winscombe in a top of the table clash, running out 3-1 winners. Samuel Stocker scored early in the first half, but Winscombe soon equalised.

The second half saw some good football and Winscombe defended brilliantly, but Joshua Hewitt and Matthew Walsh scored to make the final score 3-1.

Chutneys man of the match went to Thomas Hyland.

PRIORY Rangers Under-14s progressed to the quarter-finals of the cup with a hard fought win over Axbridge.

Axbridge had the better of the early exchanges and Priory had keeper Jake Smith to thank for keeping them in the game.

Priory took the lead from a fine finish from Jordan Hodgkinson and the same player doubled the lead after fine work from Cameron Milkins. Axbridge pulled a goal back before a fine finish from Brad Hassalls made it 3-1.

A reshuffle at half-time saw the impressive Jamie Borrett move into defence and James Thorne into midfield to give Priory more pace down the flanks and they soon increased their lead with man of the match Hodgkinson completing his hat-trick.

Axbridge scored again with a free kick, before Josh Thorne completed the scoring to finally settle the game in Priory’s favour.

MILTON Nomads Under-12s who have been struggling for players this season, won a close game against Portishead Town Youth.

Portishead were quickly two goals ahead, but Nomads then began to settle. The midfield of Syd Reames, Cam Steer, Eamon El Nairree, Ollie Cunningham and Harry Smith passed the ball around with good effect.

The second half saw Nomads up their game. Dean Chrisostomou worked tirelessly, as did Stan Cunningham who caused havoc on the Portishead defence resulting in a penalty scored by El Nairree, who then set up Reames for Nomads’ equaliser.

Portishead were not giving up easily even when Nomads took the lead with a goal from Smith. It was only great goalkeeping by Jordan Robinson and the outstanding defensive team of Harry Little, George Fulcher, Lewis Barber and Connell Edwards, which prevented Portishead from equalising.

The Under-12s are looking for five players to complete their squad. Anyone interested can turn up at training on Friday at Priory School 5.30-6.30pm or ring Denise on 07717 840095.

BANWELL Under-15s moved into the quarter-finals of the cup, winning 1-0 away at Priory Vikings.

In a tight first half, Banwell had the edge with Harry Walsh’s shot being pushed onto the bar. In midfield, captain Joe Brett, Ben Clatworthy, Harry Walsh and Aron Staples all had great games.

Banwell kept pushing forward and were rewarded when a foul led to forward Ross Buller curling the free kick into the top corner.

In the second half, the defence of Ethan Johnson, Joe Lawrence, Sam Bond, Mitch Collins and Ollie Habgood kept Priory quiet with some great tackles and clearances.

The forward line of Mike Reames, Craig Cragg and Ross Buller worked hard and were unlucky not to score again.

A special mention for Jordan Sotiris who made some great saves in goal. Banwell’s man of the match was Ollie Habgood.

BURNHAM United Under-14s (current Division 1 league leaders) are looking for new players to join their successful team.

Training is on Wednesday evenings. If interested contact Ollie on 07795 150096.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus