Ladies defeat table toppers
Winscombe ladies defeated table-topping Old Bristolians one one of the wettest days of the year.
Old Bristolians 0
Winscombe Ladies 4
ON one of the wettest days of the year, Winscombe took on top of the table Old Bs in this eagerly awaited match to see just how far Winscombe had come following their promotion into the Central Division.
A sensational display of team hockey and individual skills saw Winscombe emerge worthy winners, scoring four and keeping a clean sheet.
You may also want to watch:
Winscombe began the game with determination with Charlie Phillips, Chloe Brown and Gabby Richardson working solidly down the right. Brown managed to beat the Old Bs defence to find Sarah Holland, who slipped it past the diving goalkeeper to start the scoring.
Winscombe’s back four of Juju O’Sullivan, Caitlyn Flood, Charlie Phillips and Michelle Isgar collaborated well to keep any Old Bs attacking moves at bay.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 6 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 9 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 10 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
A well-won Winscombe penalty corner was converted by captain Kelly Clarke to make the scoreline 2-0 at half-time.
Player of the match Jade Barry worked tirelessly with Leanne Gardner and Kerri Willis, who together won another penalty corner. Clarke was on top form again, flicking it past the goalie.
Old Bs had chances to score, but Kate Walker played outstandingly in goal to maintain Winscombe’s clean sheet.
Winscombe’s fourth and final goal came from Richardson who found herself in space following another penalty corner and sent the shot home, resulting in a final 4-0 scoreline.
The 1st XI host Sidmouth & Ottery at Hans Price Academy in Weston at 11.30am on Saturday.
Knowle Ladies 2nd XI 1
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 0
THE 3rd XI gave a good performance at Knowle, but returned with a narrow 1-0 defeat.
A lapse in concentration led to Knowle scoring the only goal of the match, despite good play from goalkeeper Roxy Newman and the defensive players of Sarah Kempster, Jo Hann, Rachel Wallace and Ashleigh Jones.
The midfield players of Gail Izzard, Gill Harvey, Shirley Hartshorne, Amy Cheeseborough and Emma Whitehead worked hard, as did forwards Megan Hyden, Vicki Pagett, Alice Sloman and Hannah Hussey.
Player of the match was Gail Izzard.
Winscombe Ladies Hockey Club trains and plays at Hans Price Academy in Weston and has three teams playing league hockey, a development squad and thriving junior section (under-13s).
For further information, please e-mail Gail at email@example.com