Ladies’ doubles tournament at Uphill
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club held its annual ladies’ doubles tournament.
THE annual ladies’ doubles tournament featured as a highlight at Uphill Badminton Club.
The tournament was played in a round-robin series of matches with the top four total points scores making it to the semi-finals. The matches were hotly contested with many games being won by a single point.
The semi-finalists were Emily Page-Symonds and Anna Bickell, Bethan May Dunning and Dannie Stone, Christy Langford and Anna Collins and Teresa Lloyd and Lauren Rickwood.
Emily and Anna won the first semi-final 21-11 against Bethan and Dannie. The second semi-final was a close game with Teresa and Lauren winning through 21-19 against Christy and Anna.
You may also want to watch:
Emily and Anna held an advantage for much of the final, but Teresa and Lauren managed to claw their way back to level the scores at 18-18. After several close long rallies, Emily and Anna took the advantage in the last few points to end up winners 21-19 and take the title of ladies’ doubles champions.
The Uphill C team played a strong Mendipway team at home in what turned out to be a one-sided match to the visitors.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 6 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
Most games were won in two, but Uphill’s Jess Hargrave and Billy Fear took one rubber to three games. It was unfortunate that Fear played with an injury sustained from the Weston Tough Ten which affected the overall outcome of the match.
Bethan Dunning, Tom Higgins, Maureen Matthews and Glyn Davis of Uphill all played valiantly, but could not prevent the match result being 9-0 to Mendipway.