Ladies doubles tournament held at Winscombe
- Credit: Archant
Players from a record number of clubs took part in North Somerset Tennis League’s annual open ladies’ doubles tournament at Winscombe.
PLAYERS from a record number of clubs took part in the North Somerset Tennis League’s annual open ladies’ doubles tournament, staged as usual at Winscombe.
The winners, Carole Beach and Sue Williamson from Bridgwater, defeated last year’s champions Suzie Stockwell and Charlie Scott, representing the home club, without dropping a set during the whole one-day event.
Earlier, in their section Suzie and Charlie in a tie-break narrowly defeated Judy Kay and Katherine Tilke (Minehead) who until that match had also not dropped a set.
The clubs which were represented at the popular tournament were Brent Knoll, Bridgwater, Cheddar, Cleeve, Lympsham, Minehead, Victoria (Street), Wedmore, and Winscombe.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Gill Sayzeland, ladies’ captain at Winscombe Tennis Club, said that while the event was blessed with dry weather and some sunshine, players had to battle against a strong wind at times.
She said: “Nevertheless a high standard was maintained throughout and the eventual winners proved a formidable pairing. Congratulations are due to all who took part in such a friendly and sporting manner, contributing to what was a most enjoyable and successful day.”
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
League president David Pottow presented the championship trophy and other awards.
Meanwhile the Winscombe club is holding its first open day of the season on Saturday between 10am and 4pm to give visitors a chance to meet members, see facilities, watch demonstrations and try their hand at the game.
Any enquiries should be made to membership secretary Suzie Stockwell on 01934 843475 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org