Ladies finish second in six-a-side
Weston ladies finish runners-up in six-a-side competition.
WESTON Ladies began the 2011 season in spectacular fashion at a six-a-side tournament at the County Ground in Taunton, by beating Kings School by 39 runs.
Captain Stacey Caple (19) ran well between the wickets with vice-captain Roxiee Newman who top scored with 21. Sarah Tedder took the only wicket of the innings and Newman and Emily Taylor were the pick of the bowlers with 0-4 and 0-6.
The second game brought Weston back down to earth with a bump as they faced the overall winners, Minehead who put them into bat. Weston made a modest 45 runs against the best bowling of the day. An experienced pair of Minehead openers, knocked the runs off in no time.
A new Bridgwater team were the next opponents for Weston who were put into bat. Caple and Newman opened the batting and built up a hefty 72 runs with the help of Helen Clough. Clough was the pick of the bowlers with a wicket maiden, Caple 1-0-6-2 and Foreman held a fantastic catch to aid Tedder’s figures of 1-0-6-1. Newer players, Foreman and Lisa Parris bowled consistently straight and accurate, resulting in a good team win by 18 runs.
You may also want to watch:
The final game was against fellow league favourites, Wells. Weston decided to field first with Alice Wiseman and Newman producing the most economical bowling with 0-6 and 0-8. Newman also had a strong performance with the bat and top scored with 18 and kept her cool along with Lucy Tilden (10) amidst lots of run outs and Wells won by 19 runs.
Weston finished in a respectable second place after an invaluable team effort. Training is on Thursdays at Weston Cricket Club 6.30-8.30pm, new players of any ability are welcome.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
The first league match is on May 8 against Brompton Ralph at home, 2pm start. See wsmcc.co.uk for more information.