Ladies held to a draw
Winscombe ladies drew with Mendip in a closely-contested encounter.
Mendip Ladies 2
Winscombe Ladies 1st XI 2
THIS was a closely contested match between two ambitious sides, with the honours even at the end.
Winscombe battled throughout and captain Kelly Clark scored the opening goal of the match from a short corner after a goalmouth scramble.
You may also want to watch:
Mendip came back also scored from a penalty corner. It was only a matter of minutes before Winscombe took the lead again. Their second goal resulted from a fantastic save by Winscombe goalie Kate Walker.
This was followed by slick passing along the backline to right wing Chloe Brown, whose cross to centre forward Gabby Richardson, was met with lethal accuracy as she slotted the ball past the Mendip goalie.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 4 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 7 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 8 Police appeal for help to trace drug offender
- 9 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset
- 10 Surgery's patient participation group disbanded
Mendip levelled the score towards the end of the second half. Then with only 30 seconds remaining on the clock, Winscombe hearts were in their mouths, when Mendip were awarded a penalty corner.
Mendip’s shot on goal hit the post and started to spin goalwards, before Juju O’Sullivan cleared the ball out of the D as the final whistle sounded.
Winscombe player of the match was Sarah Holland, with keeper Kate Walker and defender Caroline Marsh close contenders.
Weston Ladies 2nd XI 4
ECVH 3 1
WESTON Ladies seconds travelled to Cullumpton to play their first away game of the season.
Beth Cole was fantastic in goal, making some brilliant saves, before EVCH got a penalty which she nearly saved. Lynne Fryer, Kat Brown, Shelly Parkins and Dani Bearsby worked well in defence making some great tackles.
Lucy Gibbons, Poppy Gibbons, Jas Ash, Kate Watkins, Sophie Lanham and Emily Watkins worked hard in midfield.
Jade Brown scored twice in her first game of the season and Ellie Etchells also worked hard up front and created chances. Kat Brown and Sophie Lanham got the other two goals for Weston. The team continue unbeaten and remain top of the league.