Ladies in high spirits
Weston Ladies defeated Cheddar 3-0 in their latest league encounter.
Weston Ladies 3
Cheddar Ladies 0
WESTON ladies went out with high spirits against Cheddar at Priory Community School, ending with a well-deserved 3-0 win.
The first half started with some strong attacks from both teams with both defences working hard at the back.
You may also want to watch:
The short and sharp passes between the centre midfield of Tina Delaney and Charli Crandon allowed Weston to beat the Cheddar defence, giving Weston many chances on goal.
Weston pushed on strongly with a run from Taylor Kingscott into Cheddar’s D and slotting home the first goal. Cheddar fought back creating chances and winning two short corners which were well defended.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
Weston carried on their attacks with a run down the right side by Michelle Tuxford, who crossed the ball in for Crandon to have a shot on goal. The ball flew over the keeper’s head with a deflection off Nicola Baker’s stick giving Weston a 2-0 lead going into half time.
Both teams came back out fighting in the second half and after good pressure by Weston, they were rewarded for their efforts with the final goal being swept home by Charlotte Gordon.
The Mercedes Benz player of the match went to Charlotte Gordon. Weston faces Taunton Vale 3rds at home on Saturday.
Weston A 4
Somerset Gryphons A 1
FOLLOWING two heavy defeats against UWE and Old Bristolians, Weston A returned to winning ways with a 4-1 defeat of Somerset Gryphons A at Priory.
Weston soaked up some early pressure and then created a number of chances but failed to convert any of them. Gryphons had a couple of chances and a good save was needed from Godwin to ensure the score was 0-0 at half time.
After the break, Weston went 1-0 up following a great run by Kearsey who laid the ball off to Chris Brees at the top of the D, then collected the return and slotted the ball past the keeper.
The confidence returned and Etchells became more involved and Weston were 3-0 up with two well-taken goals by Brees after good support play from Thorne and Ninnis.
Towards the end of the game Gryphons scored a consolation goal following a short corner, but Weston quickly responded with a fourth goal by Hawkes from a short corner.
Mercedes Benz of Weston man of the match was Skinner.