Ladies on top form
Weston ladies defeat Taunton Vale with goals from Nicky Baker and Michelle Tuxford.
Weston Ladies 1st XI 2
Taunton Vale 4th XI 0
WESTON ladies first team travelled to Taunton to face Taunton Vale 4.
Weston pushed hard, implementing the pivot which has been perfected at training. The full pitch was used to take full advantage of Weston’s new structure with the pivot play and diamond working well.
The highlight of the first half was Nicky Baker’s goal which was well deserved after a number of shots were saved by Taunton Vales’ keeper.
The second half started with Weston’s domination of the ball, after at least nine consecutive passes Michelle Tuxford drove towards the goal and scored a well-executed second goal for Weston.
- 1 Weston's bodybuilding world champion dismisses misconceptions
- 2 Appeal after biker hospitalised in crash
- 3 Weston town centre improvement works to be 'finished in weeks'
- 4 Teachers at school take on Movember challenge
- 5 Extension to cycling route could be approved next year
- 6 Weston MP tells Boris Johnson UK childcare is among 'most unaffordable'
- 7 How Somerset's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 8 New community fridge opens in the Sovereign Centre
- 9 Famous spoof awards winner announced
- 10 A370 to close this evening for first of 10 nights of roadworks
The defence of Ness Mawford, Laura Draycott and Sarah Langley-Wheeler controlled each attack from Taunton Vale, with support from Clare Westgate and Charlotte Gordon.
Both teams continued to battle hard but as the final whistle blew the score represented Weston’s determination to win. Weston’s player of the match, sponsored by Mercedes Benz of Weston, was goalkeeper Sarah Langley-Wheeler.
Winscombe Ladies 1st XI 3
Taw Valley 0
THE match started at fast pace with both teams having equal chances in front of goal.
As the game went on, Winscombe got the break and scored the opening goal through Charlie Edwards. Straight away Taw Valley were again on the back foot and with a great through ball from Kelly Clark set up a goal for Chloe Brown to put Winscombe in a comfortable position.
Taw Valley tried to break away on a few occasions, but Winscombe increased their lead when Sarah Holland held up the ball again for Brown to slot home her second.
After half-time Taw Valley pushed forward, but Helen Hegarty and Julie O’Sullivan combined well at the back, as Winscombe held out for a 3-0 victory.