Ladies open tournament starts on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
The 62nd Weston Ladies’ Open Bowls Tournament starts at Clarence Park on Sunday.
THE Mayor of Weston, Cllr Raymond Armstrong, will open the 62nd Weston Ladies’ Open Bowls Tournament, sponsored by local opticians Optika, at Clarence Park on Sunday.
An all-day open mixed triples, featuring 20 teams will kick off the event, following by ladies’ singles, pairs and triples, mixed pairs and mixed fours, with finals day on August 29.
The future of the event has been in doubt because of falling entries. However, the committee has already decided that the 2016 tournament will go ahead after an encouraging late surge of entries this time. Prize-money totals more than £1,800.
Maureen Edwards, from the Thornfield club in Rugby, will be attempting to complete a hat-trick of singles titles, having won for the last two years.
You may also want to watch:
This year, the ladies’ pairs is being sponsored for the first time by Stoneleigh Residential Care Home, which overlooks Clarence Park. Other sponsors include Bowlswear Direct, Worle Glass & Joinery and the three home clubs.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course