Ladies open tournament starts on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
The 62nd Weston Ladies’ Open Bowls Tournament starts at Clarence Park on Sunday.
THE Mayor of Weston, Cllr Raymond Armstrong, will open the 62nd Weston Ladies’ Open Bowls Tournament, sponsored by local opticians Optika, at Clarence Park on Sunday.
An all-day open mixed triples, featuring 20 teams will kick off the event, following by ladies’ singles, pairs and triples, mixed pairs and mixed fours, with finals day on August 29.
The future of the event has been in doubt because of falling entries. However, the committee has already decided that the 2016 tournament will go ahead after an encouraging late surge of entries this time. Prize-money totals more than £1,800.
Maureen Edwards, from the Thornfield club in Rugby, will be attempting to complete a hat-trick of singles titles, having won for the last two years.
You may also want to watch:
This year, the ladies’ pairs is being sponsored for the first time by Stoneleigh Residential Care Home, which overlooks Clarence Park. Other sponsors include Bowlswear Direct, Worle Glass & Joinery and the three home clubs.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 5 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 10 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory