Ladies romp to victory over Gordano
Hornettes scored eight tries in the derby encounter against Gordano ladies.
HORNETTES welcomed Gordano Ladies to the Nest in their penultimate league game.
The game had to be played 12-a-side due to Gordano lacking in numbers.
The first 10 minutes saw both teams making forays into each other’s halves, and it looked as if Hornettes were in for a hard-fought game. Then, the first of eight tries was scored by centre Beth Ryall, using her pace to score under the posts. Emma Small converted.
With nerves settling, Hornettes were soon back in the visitors half and it was not long before centre Emily Ahern, in only her second game of rugby, used her outstanding pace to run in under the posts from 40 metres to score her first try, again converted by Small.
You may also want to watch:
Now with the whole team playing together, Hornettes found themselves in Gordano’s 22 for Ryall to score her second try.
Gordano kept coming back hard, but Hornettes scored just before half-time when fly-half MJ Jenkins skipped over the try line under the posts. Small converted to make the score 26-0.
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Last chance to share your views on proposed relocation of Weston GP practice
- 9 Hornets' Richardson doesn't take notice of results ahead of Old Centralians
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
Gordano came out with renewed vigour in the second half and worked their way into the Hornettes’ 22 on a few occasions, but the hosts’ tackling was ferocious and they were in no mood to concede any tries.
With some great forward driving runs from Tanya Carver-Cox, Sara Curtis and Emma Small, Hornettes were back in the visitors 22 and scrum-half Kerianne Williams drove over for the first try of the half. Small’s conversion attempt hit the post and bounced wide.
There were three further tries, all from winger Lou Watson, using her to outstrip the defence. Small converted twice to make the final score 50-0.
Forward of the match wasTanya Carver-Cox, back of the match was Lou Watson.
Hornettes are now recruiting for next season, any interested ladies aged 18 or over, please contact Emma Small on 07429 868505.