Ladies’s doubles event held at Winscombe
- Credit: Archant
The North Somerset League ladies’ doubles tournament was held at Winscombe.
SUZIE Stockwell and Charlie Scott of Winscombe Tennis Club, were victorious in this year’s popular North Somerset League ladies’ doubles tournament.
A total of 13 couples representing eight clubs entered the annual competition organised by Winscombe.
There was a high standard of tennis played in a spirit of fair and friendly competition. In their semi-final play-offs, Suzie and Charlie were down 1-3, but they kept their nerve to win in a tie-breaker.
Similarly they kept their fans on tenterhooks in the final, coming from 0-2 down to win 6-4 over Juliet Knight and Claire Lacy of Cheddar. Together they provided onlookers with a display of high quality tennis and some thrilling rallies.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Winscombe Tennis Club’s first open day of the year is to be held on April 26, while on May 10 the club is staging a double celebration - of the 60th anniversary of its founding and the 25th year since it relocated to its present site.
Present and former members are welcome to attend the occasion from 2pm. There is to be an exhibition match featuring top players and a pig roast. For details of both events, please contact secretary Gill Davies on 01934 842415.
- 1 New leadership team for charity
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 6 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait