Ladies’ teams both finish top of their divisions
- Credit: Archant
Weston Squash and Racketball Club’s ladies A and B teams both finished top of their respective leagues.
AFTER a tough and competitive season, Weston Squash and Racketball Club’s ladies A and B teams were triumphant, coming top of both Divisions 1 and 2 in the Bristol and District League.
This has secured promotion for the B team, enabling the club to field two teams in the first division next season.
The A team had a difficult start to the season with some fierce competition from across the county and ended the first half of the season in bottom position. Team morale and motivation to win improved their position to third by the halfway point at the end of February.
A knockout tournament resulted in a grand final with the Weston’s A team beating league leaders Redland Jaguars with a convincing score line of 4-1.
You may also want to watch:
The B team also had a tough first half to the season, but rallied in the new year with the addition of two new players. The second team steadily improved their position, reaching top spot in the penultimate week.
The final week was a nail-biter where Weston B needed to beat David Lloyd A to secure the title, which they did by 4-1.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 9 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 10 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
Ladies’ captain, Carol Burrows said: “It’s been a tough season, but with commitment from both the first and second team, players it has been a truly amazing end to the season with Weston ladies winning both leagues.
“This is a great achievement, especially as the Weston competes in the league against all the top squash clubs in the Bristol and Bath areas.”
Carol and the teams will be presented with their awards at the BAD squash annual meeting in Bristol on May 11.
Visit the club’s website www.westonsquash.co.uk to find out more about Weston Squash and Racketball Club and how you could play league squash, or phone Rod Barnes on 07766 116203 for details about joining the club.
If you are interested in weekly coaching for juniors, speak to Sally Thompson on 812241.