Ladies too strong for Winscombe
Weston ladies proved too strong for Winscombe in their local derby.
Weston Ladies 1st XI 11
Winscombe Ladies 2nd XI 0
WESTON were positive from the onset and Winscombe were immediately on the backfoot.
Passing was crisp and accurate and there were several early chances that the Winscombe goalkeeper dealt with stoutly. Weston were not to be denied for long, however, and Taylor Westcott found the backboard within 10 minutes, shortly followed with a second from Tuxford.
You may also want to watch:
Despite fine efforts by the Winscombe defence and keeper, a further two goals (Bellinger and another from Westcott) were racked up before the break.
The goal rush continued in the second half with Emma Gibbins scoring within two minutes of the restart. There followed further crunching finishes from Crandon, three more from Emma Gibbins and one each from Kirsten Warden and Westcott, bringing the goalfest total to 11.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 9 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 10 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
Winscombe were unable to respond and the Weston defence were not troubled at any stage. Winscombe did persevere throughout and continued to try to defend positively until the end.
This was a good team performance from Weston and one in which they demonstrated good mastery of space and movement off the ball, a willingness to pass the ball patiently to keep possession and a domination of the midfield.
Mercedes Benz of Weston player of the match was Rosie Bellinger.
Weston Ladies 2nd XI 3
Taunton CS 1
WESTON ladies seconds travelled to play Taunton Civil Service and came away with a 3-1 victory.
Beth Cole played brilliantly in goal from the start, making some excellent saves. Demi Reading, Jenny Purcell, Shelly Parkins and Sarah Jackson worked well together in defence making some great tackles.
In midfield, Poppy Gibbons, Lucy Gibbons, Emily Watkins, Chloe Cowell and Stacie Godfrey made some good passes in midfield to link well with the front pair of Kat Brown and Ellie Etchells, who created some good chances.
Goals for Weston came from Brown (2) and Gibbons. Weston have won every game this season and are still top of the league.