Langford hit for six

SAINTS advanced to the last 16 of the Somerset Cup with a comfortable and well-deserved victory over local rivals Langford Rovers.

Weston St Johns 6

Langford Rovers 3

SAINTS advanced to the last 16 of the Somerset Cup with a comfortable and well-deserved victory over local rivals Langford Rovers.

Saints settled into the game better than their rivals and got off to the perfect start when Jack Clark opened the scoring. Saints’ lead was short lived as Langford hit back almost immediately, a free-kick was deflected past keeper Joe Malik.

You may also want to watch:

Good saves by the Langford keeper denied Levi Marlow and Ross Stockhall and at the other end, Langford were offering little threat with Saints defenders James Bennelick, Nick Jones, Ash Flavell and Mark Hearne in command.

Saints regained the lead when a cross from Jones was headed home by Marlow. With Mark Adams and James Wotton winning the midfield battle, Saints increased their lead through Marlow, after good interplay with Ryan Hodrien

Most Read

The second half was more of the same with Marlow and Stockhall running the Langford defenders ragged. Marlow created the fourth goal when he smashed a stunning strike against the bar, and Stockhall netted with a good finish.

Langford were gifted a way back into the game when they converted a penalty. Langford were forcing Saints onto the back foot and defenders Dean Pierson and Ash Flavell had to make crucial blocks to keep them out.

Saints scored again when the Langford keeper made gifted the ball to Flavell and his cross was forced home by Stockhall. Langford were now committed to attack and when they lost possession, a superb pass from Wotton sent Hodrien clear to make it 6-2. With only minutes left, Langford scored a consolation goal.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Levi Marlow.

Long Ashton 4

Worle FC 1

THIS was a game of two halves with Worle playing some of their best football of the season in the first half, but falling apart after the break.

Worle started well with Griffiths and new signing Elliot Wood showing up well, but it was a surprise when Long Ashton took the lead. Worle up the tempo once more and were rewarded when an Andre shot found the top corner.

Worle created numerous chances and rasping shots from Hewish and Tucker were well saved by the Long Ashton keeper. Woods had a couple of chances with his head, but could not find the net as the sides went in at half-time with the scores 1-1.

Worle came out the second half looking a different side, allowing Long Ashton to get back into the game. Ashton’s first goal came from a great 25 yarder and the second from the penalty spot. With Worle pressing, Long Ashton broke and the fourth came direct from a free kick.

Worle introduced new signing Darren Vincent and he showed up well. The debutants showed up well with man of the match going to Griffiths.

On Saturday, Worle travel to Yatton (2pm), the Reserves are home to Wedmore (2.15pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus