Langford keep up title chase

Langford Rovers kept up their faint title hopes with two victories in the past week.

Langford Rovers 4

Odd Down Res 1

LANGFORD Rovers won convincingly against their Bath rivals to keep their faint title hopes alive.

Starting brightly, Rovers pressed early with Grant Giles combining nicely with Kyle Havard to provide early chances for Ryan Havard and Ross Neads.

You may also want to watch:

Havard gave Rovers the lead on 15 minutes and Neads added the second on the half hour. The visitors then pulled one back when an inswinging free kick evaded everyone to roll into an empty net.

Jamie Crandon then made a superb save with the visiting striker clean through, but that was the extent of the threat. Leigh White notched soon after to reaffirm Rovers dominance.

Most Read

The second period was end-to-end and Kyle Havard made it four with a sweet finish. In truth, Rovers should have had more, but with three games left still see themselves in the title hunt.

Nailsea Town 1

Langford Rovers 3

ROVERS turned in an excellent second half performance to earn all three points from their midweek visit to Nailsea.

Leigh White and Joe Ellis managed to get hold of the midfield battle and Rovers began to press. Grant Giles went close and then earned a free kick which Ryan Havard saw go narrowly wide. Havard then got the opener, reacting to a rebound from Giles’ shot.

The second period saw Rovers start strongly, but against the run of play the home side equalised from a set piece. Langford reacted superbly and manager Jamie Crandon made changes heading into the last quarter of the game.

Leigh White went close before Havard got the crucial goal, finishing sublimely after neat work from Olly Bliss. It was Bliss again who provided the third with minutes to go, taking Leigh White’s pass and squaring to Joe Ellis to slot home.

With Crandon, Marshman and the excellent James Marshall snubbing out any threat Rovers walked off with the points.

Wrington-Redhill 2

Combe St Nicholas 2

THIS eagerly anticipated top of the table clash saw the honours shared after a hard-fought encounter at the Rec.

The home side conceded after just two minutes when after a breakdown in communication between the home custodian and centre-half. Wrington responded well and six minutes later, a sweeping move led to Neil Andow smashing home from 10 yards.

After the break, Graham Cheeseman powered into the visitor’s area, only to be brought down. The resulting penalty saw Neil Andow convert for his 31st goal of the season.

Combe St Nicholas caught the home defence napping and scored an equaliser. Cheeseman went close when his delicate chip just eluded the net.

A draw was a fair result and particular praise must go to Trevor Cleeves and his band of helpers for getting the pitch playable.

Wrington-Redhill supporter’s club man of the match was Graham Cheeseman.

Wrington-Redhill 2

Nailsea Utd Res 2

WRINGTON-Redhill travelled to Nailsea in determined mood and deservedly came away with three points.

The first half was an even affair with the visitors looking more likely to score, having a goal ruled out for offside. The half finished goal-less and soon into the second period, the visitors increasing pressure led to several corners, with Graham Cheeseman causing havoc.

Wrington forced home their advantage in a goalmouth scramble through Chris Holland on the hour. Wrington doubled their advantage when a cross was emphatically put away by Neil Andow who, along with his fellow forward Cheeseman, was a constant irritation to the home side.

Wrington-Redhill vice-president’s association man of the match went to the team.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus