Langford keep up unbeaten record

Langford Rovers keep up their unbeaten start to the season.

Clevedon Utd 1

Langford Rovers 3

LANGFORD Rovers first away game of the season saw a tough game, but they eventually prevailed in a close second half.

The first half was a tight affair, with Rovers looking dangerous through Ryan Havard on the break. Rich Parks scored the opener for Rovers on 15 minutes, nodding in Leigh White’s corner.

You may also want to watch:

With the encounter becoming feisty, Ryan Harris was booked before Park saw red for two bookable offences. Rovers then conceded a goal when poor clearances from Jamie Crandon and Adi Marshman gifted an equaliser.

The second period was nip and tuck, with Crandon making a superb save before Kyle Havard gave away a penalty. Clevedon shot wide and this propelled Rovers on.

Most Read

With James Marshall, Leigh White, Harris and Marshman shutting Clevedon out, Rovers twice broke near the end with Crandon and White influential, leaving Havard to score twice.

Langford Rovers 4

Minehead 0

ROVERS kept up their 100 per cent record thanks to a Levi Marlow hat-trick.

Marlow struck first after a good interchange down the left between Leigh White and Marlow, the latter finishing neatly. The second came midway through the first half via a slight deflection.

Rovers looked solid at the back with Crandon, White, Marshall, Marshman and Kyle Havard preventing any gilt edged chances. Minehead did not have much to offer in the second period and Langford should have scored more, but Marlow completed his hat-trick after a fine back heeled through ball from Ryan Havard.

The hard working Joe Ellis and Rich Parks were influential and the former earned a late penalty which Marshall finished sweetly

Burnham Utd 5

Weston St Johns 4

SAINTS produced a poor performance in losing to Burnham.

They went behind in the first minute following poor defending. Calum McManus equalised with a stunning strike, but another mistake allowed Burnham to regain the lead.

McManus got Saints back level with another good finish after a superb pass from Mark Adams. A weakly taken free-kick by Saints allowed Burnham to take the lead for the third time. Saints were level again before half-time when Ross Stockhall fired past the keeper.

Saints took the lead when Jack Clark headed home from a Stockhall cross. Saints could not hold the lead and Burnham scored twice in the final five minutes to take the win.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Mark Adams.

Weston St Johns 3

Winscombe 0

SAINTS bounced back from defeat in midweek to record a comfortable win over table-topping Winscombe.

Saints started brightly in what was a scrappy first half and they took the lead when Ryan Hawkins’ pass released Ross Stockhall and he scored with a neat chip over the keeper.

Mark Adams and James Wotton were controlling midfield and chances came for Calum McManus, Stockhall and Hawkins. At the back, defenders Dean Pierson, Ash Flavell, James Bennellick and Mitchum Smit were dealing comfortably with the rare Winscombe attacks.

The second half was more of the same with Saints dominating and they soon made the score 2-0. The goal came when Adams sent Jack Clark down the wing and he beat a defender before crossing for Stockhall to give the keeper no chance with a powerful header.

Winscombe came back into the game and keeper Ian Allchorne had to make a couple of saves to preserve Saints lead. Saints secured the win when Wotton beat the keeper with a well-placed shot following a mazy run and cross by McManus to make the final score 3-0.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Mark Adams.

Long Ashton 1

Worle 2

WORLE put the disappointment of last week’s dropped points against Cheddar with a convincing away win against Long Ashton.

With a changed side, Worle were strengthened by the return of Connor Hull up front and debuts for Daniel Poole and Damian Bassett, who both had good games.

Hull partnered Sumption up front and there constant running caused problems for the home side all afternoon and it was no surprise when Worle took the lead when Hull’s shot was parried and Sumption netted the rebound.

After the break, the back three of Sam Clements, Danny Poole and James Harvey stood firm and Worle should have increased their lead further when Ollie Clements had a chance.

Long Ashton drew level when the referee gave the home side a penalty which Carl Chisholm converted. Worle hit back with chances for Clements, McCabe, Sumption and Hull. With Bassett now running the midfield, the winning goal was netted by McCabe with 15 minutes to go.

This was a great all-round performance and with Crandon, Farmer, Downs and Vincent to come back into the squad, this should be a good season.

Man of the match was Rob Sumption.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus