Last-ball victory for fourths
Weston 4th XI ended their season with a last-ball victory over Bridgwater Sports.
With the 1sts, 2nds and 3rds all cancelled due to the poor weather, it was left to Weston’s 4th XI to finish the league season as they travelled to Cannington to play Bridgwater Sports.
The game got underway with Weston batting first in rain and wind. Openers Jamie Dance (12) and Josh Hussey (24) both made good starts, but wickets fell regularly throughout the innings.
Skipper Dave Howes (34) and Matti Abed (11) were only other players to make double figures as Weston were bowled out for 137, with the extras column making a big contribution of 31.
Weston’s opening bowlers Bradley Lucas (6-2-9-2) and Matt Munday (8-1-26-1) both bowled well to make it hard work for the batsmen. There were also wickets for Abed (5-0-21-1) and Jody Filer (4-0-6-1) and they were supported well by Bayley Frise and Jakob Massey.
You may also want to watch:
The game was in the balance especially while Matt Winter (82 not out) was still at the crease and in the end it went right down to the last ball.
Needing a six to win the match for the home team they could only muster a four as Lucas bowled an exceptional final over to win a thrilling game by one run for Weston.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 6 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 7 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 10 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
Forte Financial man of the match was Bradley Lucas.