Late goal denies Banwell juniors

JUNIOR SOCCER - BANWELL Under-10s A played Milton Nomads in the league and started the brighter of the two teams.

BANWELL Under-10s A played Milton Nomads in the league and started the brighter of the two teams.

Billy Berry dominated the midfield challenges and fed the ball out to Charlie Camper, who was quick to attack the Nomads defence.

Banwell took the lead following some great passing football which ended with Luke Edwards scoring. Nomads were then awarded a corner which they converted to level the game.

Jack Partridge made some great saves in goal to deny Nomads, with James Hart and Ben Tucker working hard in defence to stop any shots at goal.

You may also want to watch:

Then Luke Edwards' cross picked out Max Bretherton, who netted to regain the lead for Banwell, but a mix up in defence gifted Nomads an equaliser.

Banwell made a number of changes with Ryan Hastewell and Connor Burns taking over in defence. Hastewell fed a ball to Camper who beat two players to score, but Nomads again replied with an equaliser.

Most Read

Luke Edwards hit a fierce shot from distance which the Nomads goalkeeper spilled into his own net to make it 4-3. Nomads then applied some pressure on Banwell and were rewarded with an equaliser with 10seconds left on the clock making it 4-4.

The Cube @ Morse's man of the match went to Luke Edwards.

Banwell B played Nomads in the next match where both teams were looking for a win.

Banwell took the game to Nomads with Kaan Berk and Harrison Giles missing a number of chances. Matthew Gilmore and Steven Baker worked hard in midfield, but couldn't find the final ball to unlock Nomads.

Joel Wills was outstanding and Jamie Jenkins made some great challenges to take the pressure off his own goal. Ben Meakin was on his game in goal and denied all the Nomads efforts with some great saves.

Banwell made a number of changes with Ben Vernon coming on in defence and making some crunching tackles and Thomas Galliers, whose pace at the back was a real help.

Berk had the best chance of the game but hit the post. Nomads broke with five minutes left and scored the winner against the run of play to give them a 1-0 win.

The Cube @ Morse's man of the match went to Ben Meakin.

HAVING met just two weeks ago in the cup, this league fixture against Portishead was always going to be a tough one for Cheddar Under-9s B.

As in the last few games, the home team started strongly, with early pressure from Sam Catling and William Britt. Cheddar captain James King had several shots in the first few minutes, including one which rattled the crossbar.

Before long, Portishead made a break, their speed catching the Cheddar defence napping to leave the Cheesemen's goalie Cameron McColm outnumbered in the penalty area.

Two more goals followed before the locals recovered their composure and pushed forward, Oliver Crandon finding King in space before a pass to Bracewell, who rocked the net with a powerful strike.

That was to be the only ball to elude the visiting keeper, as normal service was resumed, and a series of crosses and punishing finishes sent the black & whites' tally rising, seemingly immune to the efforts of Cheddar's Frost, Welchman, Davies and Poyner.

Despite a few late chances that threatened to erode the deficit, as the final whistle blew it was clear that the B's must hone their tackling skills to order to avoid recurrence of such a heavy defeat.

Cheddar Bs man of the match was Oliver Crandon

MILTON Nomads Under-9s A team started strongly against Gordano Valley Giants and within a couple of minutes Harry Little's power shot ricocheted off a Gordano's post.

When the ball went out for a corner, Brandon Smith's perfectly placed cross was superbly headed in by Matthew Ogborne. Undeterred, Gordano bravely fought on, but their attacking play was swiftly dealt with by George Fuller.

The scoreline remained the same, despite near misses by Henry Worley and William Fuller.

The second half play mimicked the first, in Nomads favour and a determined solo effort from William Fuller finished just wide of the goal and was quickly followed by Matt Ogbornes shot hitting the post.

Nomads' frustrations were finally rewarded by William Fuller when he found the back of the net from a throw in.

Gordano refused to give up, making several attacking plays and forcing the Nomads defence and keeper, Charlie Woodards in to action.

Nomads came back at them on the counter attack through Brandon Smith, but Gordano's keeper saved his shot. Phoebe Payton reclaimed the ball from Gordano's defence with an excellent tackle, passing to Matt O, who then crossed for Phoebe to make the final score 0-3 to Nomads.

Man of the match went to Matthew Ogborne for another excellent performance.

The B team faced the Gordano Valley Giants B team and Nomads keeper Chirs Beddingfield was forced to make a couple of good saves in the opening minutes.

Nomads' captain Harry Beer, stepped up to the mark and with his positive attitude and determination made a good attempt on goal. This was followed by an attacking run from Janson Wheatley, whose shot was just off target.

Gordano's attempts to break through Nomads defence were dealt with by Charles Constable, who had his best game to date and his perfectly placed long pass to Connor McDowell, led to a fantastic goal.

Beer appeared to cover every inch of the pitch defending well and then ensuring he was in a great position for Alex Smithers pass, before making the score 0-2.

Gordano came back with determination and after several attempts, they broke through Nomads defence making the half time score 1-2

Despite a nasty knock to his ankle, Jack Rickwood started the first half with three near misses, but play quickly went to the other end of the pitch but was faced by more excellent defending from Beer, Adam Drake and Liam Byrne, plus a couple of super saves from Beddingfield.

Nomads then stepped up a gear and made several attempts on goal from Janson, Connor, and Ben Insley, but it was the man of the match, Harry Beer who finally found the back of the net making the final score 1-3 to the visitors.

HUTTON Juniors Under-11s played their first game since Dec 12th against Long Ashton and won 2-1.

The game was delayed for half a hour due to the frost, but Hutton started brightly with the midfield of Bradley Thomas, Fraser Ham, Billy Miller, Eli Butt and Morgan Bacon combining well.

Forwards Tom Hayes and Liam Campin were working well together, making room for some chances to score. At the other end, Lewis Maclean, Kyle Sampson and Joe Taylor were stopping Long Ashton attacks and keeper Lewis Oakes was in fine form.

Hutton took the lead from a corner, good passing found Bacon, who netted. More chances came from Hayes, Butt and Campkin but the side netting and post came to Long Ashton's help.

Hutton went 2-0 up after a fine solo run from Butt. Hutton made some changes with Sam Smith, Marios Michael and Rhys Davies coming on.

In the second half, Hutton looked tired and found a different Long Ashton side from the first half. Hutton had to defend well and they did with Sampson, Mclean and Davies making some telling tackles

When Hutton failed to clear and the ball rebounded around the area, Ashton scored. With time running out, Campkin, Butt, Hayes, Michael and Miller all went close.

The Grand Pier man of the match went to Lewis Maclean and Eli Butt.

Playing their first game of 2010 against a strong Burnham side, Hutton Under-9s A quickly took the lead through Macauly.

Burnham replied just as half time was coming up, but then Tom S's corner found Ty who volleyed home to make it 2-1.

The second half started with Burnham quickly taking the lead with two goals. Goalkeeper Luke, defenders Lewis, Kyle and Harry M kept the Burnham attacks quiet for the rest of the game.

Jay then scored a third goal and with time running out Jake F scored the winner to make the final score 4-3 to Hutton.

The Under-9s B side took the lead on their first attack from Tom.W. This sparked Burnham into life, who scored twice. It could have been more had it not been for great defending from Jake A, James, Liam and goalkeeper Harry H.

With five minutes left of the first half, George scored a well placed strike. Sam and Toby went close on a number of occasions, but were unlucky to see the keeper pull off some great saves.

Ciaran took the game by the scruff of the neck and quickly scored two goals to give Hutton all six points, keeping them in the title race.

AFTER a break of several weeks, Priory Pumas Under-11s looked rusty, but still managed a relatively comfortable 3-1 win against a good Axbridge Saxon team.

Pumas started the game brightly with some great link up play from Tom Starr, who was feeding Sam Stokes and Mason Holborn to set up a number of chances.

Toby Allen linked up well with Reece Trapani down the left and between them they produced several chances throughout the first half.

In the middle of the park, Jack Owens and Tom Adams were winning everything in the air and on the ground.

After 12 minutes, Pumas won a corner which Josh Trowbridge swung in and Tom Adams hammered the ball past the keeper. The rest of the first half was dominated by Pumas who had two or three clear cut chances.

Paddy Holyday marshalled the defence well and dealt with their big centre-forward calmly and efficiently.

Ten minutes into the second half Tom Adams made it 2-0 when Sam Stokes broke down the right, beat a couple of players and crossed it perfectly for Tom to finish well.

Soon after Toby Allen was unlucky with a tackle and gave away a penalty. Although he got near to it, keeper Tom Brannigan couldn't save the resulting spot kick.

With three minutes remaining, Adams ran through the Axbridge defence and claimed a much deserved hat-trick.

Man of the Match went to Toby Allen for a fantastic display at left back.

Priory Pumas Under-10s started well, giving Winscombe no chance to push forward. Joe Calvert and Marshal teamed up well to produce some excellent opportunities at goal, the Winscombe keeper made some brilliant saves from both Marshal and Joe.

As soon as Winscombe had their chance, they pushed forward to score. Unfortunately, Pumas heads went down and Winscombe capitalised with a second goal from a corner. Alex made some fantastic tackles stopping Winscombe from scoring again and Harry also made some excellent saves.

The second half started off well again with Lewis and Joe Kelly making chances to no avail. Winscombe scored again on the break, but Pumas were trying hard with Joe Kelly and Finn making some great tackles.

Between Lewis, Marshal and Joe Calvert, they made some brilliant runs and Marshal was unlucky when the keeper made a brilliant save preventing Marshal from scoring.

In the last few minutes, Winscombe ploughed through the defence and did not give Harry a chance leaving the end result 4-0.

This week the man of the match goes to Joe Kelly for his continued hard work.

With the match initially in doubt due to a frosty pitch, Pumas Under-9s were pleased that the decision was made to go ahead with this fixture.

A tough first half saw Pumas go in at the break 2-0 up, with both goals coming from Tom West. Oliver Stokes went close several times and was unlucky not to score.

In the second half, Pumas opened up and created numerous chances. Keaton Walker scored from close range before Ewan Griffith scored Pumas' fastest hat trick of the season.

This was followed by two great strikes by Drew Hodges to keep his goal tally running, whilst the Pumas defensive line of Zac Johnson, Matthew Tanner and Luke Darby ensured that goalkeeper Zac Bacon had little to do.

Sam Parkinson also joined in the fun with a second half hat trick. West grabbed two more late on and completed a memorable game with a four goal total which brought a broad smile from his proud dad Ian, watching from the touchline.

Parky's man of the match was Tom West.

CRUSADERS Under-11s returned to action with a 4-1 victory at St George.

Crusaders had the better of the early exchanges with Jordan Humphris going just wide from a free kick before Nathaniel Groom bundled home the opening goal from a Toby Herbert cross.

St George hit back forcing George Andrews into a great save from a free kick before they equalised from a corner.

In the second half, Crusaders took control with Oliver Coombes, Herbert and Harper causing problems on the left and Alex Francis and George Howard controlling midfield.

Macauley Priestley's fine pass sent Groom free to cross for Harper to fire home to restore the lead. Groom, Francis and Herbert all had shots saved before Harper extended the lead.

As time ticked away, David Warden passed to Herbert, who set Groom racing clear to fire home the fourth.

For Crusaders, the defence of Priestley, Lewis, Davidson, Warden and Coombes were solid throughout, with Coombes deservedly picking up the man of the match award.

Crusaders Under-15s entertained Axbridge on a bitterly cold afternoon.

Crusaders attacked from the off, forcing some good saves from the Axbridge keeper. Crusader continued to push forward, but the game remained scoreless at half time.

After the break, Crusaders stepped up the pressure. Frazier Rendall hit the bar from distance and Tom Swash also hit the bar with a header from a corner and followed up to score the only goal of the game to maintain their unbeaten run this season.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter