Late goal denies Seasiders a point on opening day

WESTON were denied a deserved share of the Blue Square South points as they conceded a goal two minutes from the end of a tense game to their Ryman Premier League champions visitors.

WESTON were denied a deserved share of the Blue Square South points as they conceded a goal two minutes from the end of a tense game to their Ryman Premier League champions visitors.

The Middlesex-based opponents totally dominated the first half, forcing nine of their 12 corners, but the home defence did an heroic job, repelling attack after attack and allowing little through to keeper Kevin Sawyer.

The home midfield was muscled out of possession time after time by a physically stronger opposition who were faster to every loose ball. Consequently, the defence relied on high balls upfield which were gobbled up by a tall Staines defence as Josh Llewellyn battled manfully as the sole striker, with partner Ashan Holgate having to drop back to help shore up the midield.

Staines forced their first corner on three minutes and from Scott Taylor's kick, Dominic Sterling headed into Sawyer's arms and the home goal had a let-off on 11 minutes when Elliot Onochie's low effort came back off the inside of a post, only for Taylor to fire wide from the rebound.

You may also want to watch:

Taylor should have done better on 28 minutes when he was put behind the defence, but again he failed to find the target with only Sawyer to beat. Weston's only chance of the half came on 32 minutes when Ben Wells was just off target with a 25-yard free kick, while at the other end on 41 minutes, from Staines' third corner, Leroy Griffiths was just over.

Weston came more into the game in the second half, Darren Mullings having their first effort on target on 46 minutes when set up by Llewellyn and minutes later, Ben Wells was just over, but they were forced into a change on 56 minutes when Mike Green limped off after picking up a knock, Jack Compton taking over and going wide on the left with Scott Bartlett moving back into defence.

Most Read

Taylor again wasted another great chance for Staines on 59 minutes when put clear behind the defence, but luckily for Weston he appeared to have left his shooting boots behind.

Weston had strong appeals for a penalty ignored when Mullings was brought down in a melee in the six-yard box, but Plymouth referee Lee Swabey, who was some distance from the incident, awarded a free kick to the visitors. Then on 81 minutes, Holgate's low effort was parried by keeper Louis Wells and Llewellyn headed the rebound tamely into the keeper's arms.

Later, Weston made a double substitution, bringing on Leon Jeanne and Marc McGregor for Llewellyn and Holgate, but Staines at last broke through, Onochie getting a touch to substitute James Charles-Smith's deep cross.

ON Saturday, Weston make the long trip to Essex to face Thurrock and on Tuesday, they entertain newly-relegated Woking at the Woodspring Stadium (7.45pm).

WESTON have bolstered their squad with the double signing of Leon Jeanne and Joshua Klein-Davies.

Jeanne has been with Weston since the start of their pre-season campaign and has impressed as a striker.

The 28-year-old Cardiff born midfielder certainly has an impressive pedigree and is described in England and Tottenham Hotspur striker Peter Crouch's autobiography as "the most talented player I have ever played with."

Jeanne started his football career in the Youth set up at Arsenal before going on to join Queens Park Rangers where he made his debut against Watford in February 1999.

He made 12 first team appearances with the Loftus Road-based side prior to leaving in 2001 to join home town club Cardiff City where he made a further two first team appearances.

Leon was released by the Bluebirds in May 2002 and went on to spells with Havant and Waterlooville, Port Talbot, Newport County, Dinas Powys, Barry Town, and Maesteg Park.

His most recent side prior to coming to the Woodspring Stadium was Cardiff Sunday League side Carpenters Arms. He has also been capped by Wales at Under-21 level.

Klein-Davies is a 20-year-old Bristol-born striker has been capped by Wales six times at Under-17 level and five times at Under-19 level.

Joshua played for Stoke Lane and Cadbury Heath prior to joining the Academy at Bristol City.

He signed for Bristol Rovers after being released by Bristol City in May 2007 and went on to make 10 first team appearances for the Pirates.

He spent loan spells at Yate Town, Luton Town, Newport County, Lewes and Bath City and most recently had a spell at Weymouth.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus