Late penalty sends Seasiders to 13th defeat
- Credit: Archant
Weston slipped to their 13th defeat of the season, thanks to a penalty kicked in the seventh minute of time added.
WESTON 20 pts
OLD CENTRALIANS 22 pts
WESTON fell to their 13th league defeat of the season when they went down narrowly in the seventh minute of time added at the Recreation Ground.
The Seasiders had started promisingly and were deservedly 10 points in credit by the 24th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Young kicked an early penalty and after pressure had been applied, the fly-half converted a short range try by prop Ollie Streeter.
But just before the break, a missed tackle in midfield eventually led to a try by visiting No 8 Rich Pinkney. Fly-half Liam Hemming converted for an interval score of 10-7 and the Gloucester club were soon in front.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Turnover ball gave them the opportunity of a touchdown by lock Pete Willetts and a minute later a penalty kick down the line produced Pinkney’s second try which Hemming converted.
But Weston responded with a driven try by lock Ewan Bulger and a quarter-of-an-hour later, a replica move saw skipper Ashley Russell score to give his team a single point advantage.
But the Old Boys finished strongly and Hemming’s 15-metre penalty left Weston with a single bonus point.
Weston: R Bennett, E Maloney, M Chisholm, S Edwards, M Watkins, C Young, H Tuttiett, S Coles, M Hocking, O Streeter, A Russell (c), E Bulger, S Eaton, T Crossman, C Gleeson. Replacement used: E Hunt, B Cox, P Sprague.