Late try denies Hornets victory

Rugby Hornetsv Brixham.

Rugby Hornetsv Brixham. - Credit: Archant

A try by visitors Brixham in the last play gave them a narrow victory over Hornets.

HORNETS 25 pts

BRIXHAM 30 pts

HORNETS welcomed Brixham to the Nest knowing that this was the type of game they need to win if they are to keep pace with the league leaders.

Hornets went into the game in second place and Brixham fourth and at the end, the league places were reversed, with Brixham going second and Hornets slipping to fourth.

You may also want to watch:

The hosts had the best of the early exchanges. They looked to have scored early on when James Letherby was first to a Sean Disney cross kick, but the referee adjudged the ball had gone dead before the touchdown.

Brixham hit back and after some good forward play, the dangerous looking backs moved the ball slickly along the line and allowed the winger to score in the corner.

Most Read

From the restart, Hogarth regained the ball for Hornets and as the ball was moved wide, Brixham infringed and Jermaine Jones slotted three points from the penalty. Brixham added a penalty of their own to regain their five-point lead.

Hornets started to gain the upper hand. Their pack had their best period of the game first winning two scrums, one against the head and from a penalty to touch a driving maul saw them make 30 metres before Alec Chase crashed over for a try. Jones added the conversion for 10-8 lead.

The hosts extended their lead when the ball was moved along the line, where Chris Francis and Hogarth made ground before finding Jones, who was dragged down. The ball was moved back the other way and Letherby jinked over to score. Brixham pulled a penalty back to give a half-time score of 15-11.

Hornets registered a further three points from a penalty following obstruction on Ross Cheeseborough at the kick-off, but Adam Francis was yellow carded for a cynical offside and Brixham took advantage as their forwards rumbled over for a try to bring the score to 18-16.

Brixham also had a player yellow carded and Hornets took advantage when Jones took the ball on the burst to score under the posts, which he converted for a 25-16 lead with 25 minutes to go.

From then on, it was all about Brixham battering the Hornets defence. For a long period Hornets’ defence held firm and despite conceding penalties, the Brixham kickers were having an off day.

With time ticking away, the visitors scored a converted try and with the final play, a Conor Littlewood kick was charged down and the ball broke loose and Brixham crashed over for a try which stole the game.

Hornets now need to regroup quickly for what they know will be a challenging away trip to Chard on Saturday, despite their hosts languishing at the foot of the table.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter