Late winner for Saints

ST JOHNS travelled to Frys and came away with a hard fought Division 1 victory against a physical Frys team.

Frys Club 1

Weston St Johns 2

ST JOHNS travelled to Frys and came away with a hard-fought Division 1 victory against a physical Frys team.

The early stages of the game were fairly even with Frys having more possession, but Saints looked more likely to score with Ross Stockhall and Levi Marlow causing some anxious moments for the Frys defenders.

You may also want to watch:

At the other end, defenders Juzzy Flavell, Dean Pierson, Andy Llewellyn and Andy Young dealt with everything the pacy Frys attackers had to offer.

Saints opened the scoring when Young’s free-kick found the unmarked James Wotton and he took the ball around the keeper before firing into the empty net.

Most Read

Moments later a speculative long-range strike from Young beat the keeper, but drifted agonisingly wide of the post to leave the half-time score 1-0.

Frys started the second half looking brighter and controlled the game. Wotton, Mark Adams and James Bennelick worked hard to preserve the lead, but a mistake led to Frys equalising, giving keeper Joe Malik no chance.

Saints re-organised and began to take control again. There were good chances for Wotton, Marlow and Stockhall.

Deep into injury time with the game looking like ending in a draw, Saints won a corner. Kev Cosham’s flag kick was met by Flavell, but again the keeper made a good save, but the ball rebounded to him and he fired it into the net to clinch a dramatic late win.

Bookers Wholesale player of the match was Juzzy Flavell.

Worle 2 Banwell 2

A GOAL each from the Hannam brothers gained a point for Worle against Banwell, but this was seen as two points dropped rather than one gained.

Worle started brightly with Elliot Wood joining Conor Hull up front, with Jake Hannam coming into midfield. Worle soon took the lead when the ball rebounded to Jake Hannam in the box and he coolly slotted past French in the away goal.

Looking to capitalise on this, Worle were caught from a corner by Brooker and a near post header eluded Hill. Banwell looked dangerous from Brooker’s long throw-ins and corners, but it was Worle who had the majority of the possession.

With time running out in the first half it was an own goal by Bushell which gave Banwell a narrow lead at the break.

The second half started much the same with Worle pressing. It took a substitution to level the scores, when good work by Bushell and Hull resulted in Troy Hannam, who had just come off the bench, to score the vital goal.

Missed chances by Wood, Bushell and Sumption should have put Worle into the lead, but chances were squandered. French in the away goal pulled off a great save from Hull when he looked beaten.

This was an encouraging display from Worle, but they will have to play better on Saturday when go to Combe St Nicholas. Man of the match was James Harvey.

Worle welcome Lee Plumley as joint manager with Gary Coles.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus