League champions end on a high note
League champions Burnham 2nd XV finished with a flourish against second-placed Wyvern.
LEAGUE champions Burnham Seconds travelled to meet second-placed Wyvern in the final game of Somerset 3.
Wyvern are the only team to have beaten Burnham this season and the visitors were set on revenge.
The game started well with the backs serviced by Mike Whitfield at scrum-half and commanded by Alex Bowkett. Podge Barrington provided some impressive runs into the heart of the opposition pack, assisted by Ben Bowkett and Ryan Jones.
It was from a crash ball by Barrington that caused a Wyvern infringement. The penalty was quickly taken by Whitfield, who slithered over the line to score.
You may also want to watch:
Burnham scored again after good work by Rob Lewis, Sam Ford, Mark Coles and Tom Stevens led to Bowkett crashing over.
After soaking up Wyvern pressure, Ginge Sommerhay scored a fine breakaway try, before Wyvern hit back to score a converted try.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 New leadership team for charity
At the break, Burnham made more changes with Jones, Love, Viger, Smith, Ford, Landorfi, Ozi, Renolds, Baillie, Harris, Berry, Morris all playing a part.
The second half saw further tries from Matt Love (3), Tom Hocking (2), Matt Slater and Whitfield. Wyvern replied with two tries of their own. Ford and Love capped off an entertaining afternoon with the score line at 49-17.
In the league, the seconds won 13 out of 14 games, scoring 679 points with just 90 against, earning 64 points.