League champions end on a high note
League champions Burnham 2nd XV finished with a flourish against second-placed Wyvern.
LEAGUE champions Burnham Seconds travelled to meet second-placed Wyvern in the final game of Somerset 3.
Wyvern are the only team to have beaten Burnham this season and the visitors were set on revenge.
The game started well with the backs serviced by Mike Whitfield at scrum-half and commanded by Alex Bowkett. Podge Barrington provided some impressive runs into the heart of the opposition pack, assisted by Ben Bowkett and Ryan Jones.
It was from a crash ball by Barrington that caused a Wyvern infringement. The penalty was quickly taken by Whitfield, who slithered over the line to score.
You may also want to watch:
Burnham scored again after good work by Rob Lewis, Sam Ford, Mark Coles and Tom Stevens led to Bowkett crashing over.
After soaking up Wyvern pressure, Ginge Sommerhay scored a fine breakaway try, before Wyvern hit back to score a converted try.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 4 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 9 Pilot dairy facility opens in food innovation centre
- 10 Weston schools to reintroduce extra-curricular clubs
At the break, Burnham made more changes with Jones, Love, Viger, Smith, Ford, Landorfi, Ozi, Renolds, Baillie, Harris, Berry, Morris all playing a part.
The second half saw further tries from Matt Love (3), Tom Hocking (2), Matt Slater and Whitfield. Wyvern replied with two tries of their own. Ford and Love capped off an entertaining afternoon with the score line at 49-17.
In the league, the seconds won 13 out of 14 games, scoring 679 points with just 90 against, earning 64 points.