League champions made to work hard by Weston
- Credit: Archant
Weston made league champions Camborne work hard for their victory at the Recreation Ground.
Weston 14 pts
Camborne 23 pts
Champions Camborne were made to work hard by a much-improved Weston performance, but still prevailed.
Camborne took the lead through full-back Rhys Brownfield after seven minutes, but Weston fly-half Dan Lomax equalised three minutes later before the visitors’ captain Damian Cook scored from a catch and drive.
You may also want to watch:
Weston flanker Rich Bignall, who was industrious throughout, cut a fine line which ended with a Lomax penalty after Camborne were ruled offside. Weston had a chance to take the lead when centre Kirk Middlemiss broke, but he elected to kick when there were better options outside.
Camborne winger Noah Sixton collected and ran the ball back 80 metres to score under the posts. Brownfield converted and with half-time approaching, Weston could have been in trouble, but quick thinking from Lomax from a penalty on Camborne’s line led to left wing Ollie Caton leaping to take a perfectly weighted crossfield kick. This made the score 15-11 to the visitors at the break.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 6 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 7 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 8 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week
- 9 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 10 New school welcomes its first pupils
Lomax cut the lead seven minutes into the second period with another long-range penalty and with the hosts just one point behind a fight back was very much on the cards, but a further Brownfield penalty and a second identical score by Cook put Camborne out of sight.
A late break by scrum-half Hayden Tuttiett carried on by Middlemiss almost led to a try for right wing Chris Young, but the referee deemed a forward pass to end the game.