Lele crowned Commonwealth champion
Kewstoke’s Lele Nairne has recently been crowned Commonwealth judo champion in her weight category.
KEWSTOKE’S Lele Nairne, aged 14, fought it out with the best judo players from 27 countries at the recent Commonwealth Judo Championships, to become champion in the under-57k weight category.
It all started last November when Lele along with other top UK judo athletes was invited to a fight-off to establish the top competitor to represent England in this prestigious and elite event.
Lele won all of her five fights to emerge the number one contender for this event, which this year was hosted by Wales in Cardiff, which is a coincidence as Lele is also the current Welsh champion in her category.
Her proud dad Kevin said: “Lele is a special girl and gives 101 per cent of her ability and will not accept anything less. She has become stronger and stronger at judo and now as part of the England judo squad and elite ETD (England Talent Development), she regularly trains alongside Olympians.
You may also want to watch:
“She has already competed in two high level international competitions this month and will be in many more as the year progresses.”
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront