Lele crowned Commonwealth champion
Kewstoke’s Lele Nairne has recently been crowned Commonwealth judo champion in her weight category.
KEWSTOKE’S Lele Nairne, aged 14, fought it out with the best judo players from 27 countries at the recent Commonwealth Judo Championships, to become champion in the under-57k weight category.
It all started last November when Lele along with other top UK judo athletes was invited to a fight-off to establish the top competitor to represent England in this prestigious and elite event.
Lele won all of her five fights to emerge the number one contender for this event, which this year was hosted by Wales in Cardiff, which is a coincidence as Lele is also the current Welsh champion in her category.
Her proud dad Kevin said: “Lele is a special girl and gives 101 per cent of her ability and will not accept anything less. She has become stronger and stronger at judo and now as part of the England judo squad and elite ETD (England Talent Development), she regularly trains alongside Olympians.
You may also want to watch:
“She has already competed in two high level international competitions this month and will be in many more as the year progresses.”
- 1 New leadership team for charity
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 6 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait