Lele just misses out on world number one ranking
- Credit: Archant
Judo star Lele Nairne just missed out on a world number one ranking after taking part in several events across Europe.
KEWSTOKE judo star Lele Nairne missed out on being ranked number one in the world after picking up a silver medal in the Czech Republic.
Until last Sunday, Lele was ranked seventh, but a gold and silver medal has pushed up her ranking. She has just returned from competing at a variety of world class events, as well as attending high-level training camps across Europe.
The 16-year-old, who attends Priory Community School in Worle, took a gold medal in Romania as well as the silver, which are considered to be two of the hardest of European championships.
Lele’s father Kevin, said: “Unless you have had the opportunity to witness first-hand the dedication, focus and time it takes to reach her present standard, you would find it difficult to believe.
You may also want to watch:
“She trains seven days a week either at judo or in the gym building her strength. She makes me and her mother proud every day and I have no doubt in the next few years she will be selected for top senior events such as the Olympics.”
Lele is now taking a few days well-earned rest before she begins training again in readiness to go off on her travels again representing Team GB. This time she will be fighting in the under-21s rather than the under-17s. Her next international contest will be in Vienna.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 5 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 6 Community shop seeks new manager
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 Schools advised not to use mass testing as an alternative to isolation
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
If anyone would like to associate themselves with Lele’s ongoing success via financial support or company sponsorship, she would love to hear from you. Please drop Lele an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org