Lewis gains runner-up spot in county championships
- Credit: Archant
Kings of Wessex Year 9 student Lewis Hembrow-Mckinley came runner-up in the county athletics championships held at Millfield School.
Kings of Wessex Year 9 student Lewis Hembrow-Mckinley started this year’s summer athletics season on a triumphant note when he came second in the county athletics championships at Millfield School.
Lewis competed against more than 75 athletes from other Somerset schools in the challenging pentathlon including: hurdle, shot putt, long jump, high jump and 800m, with the high jump being his favourite event.
As well as second in the county, Lewis came seventh overall due to guest athletes from Wiltshire and Exeter.
Lewis first got interested in athletics in Year 7 at Hugh Sexey Middle School and has been training hard ever since. He currently trains three times a week as a member of North Somerset Athletics Club with coach Chris Millard and on non-training days he jogs near his home.
You may also want to watch:
Looking to the future, Lewis dreams of being an Olympian or a doctor to help sportsmen and women with sports injuries. But for now, Lewis hopes to participate in the county championships for Avon and other events this summer, including sports day at the academy next half term.
Executive headteacher Chris Richardson said: “I congratulate Lewis on his wonderful achievement in coming second overall in the county athletics championships. This is a tribute to Lewis for his true dedication and abilities as an athlete and I wish him every success.”
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 5 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 8 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 9 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 10 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism