Liam is crowned champion
Weston Boxing Club’s Liam Hunt was crowned Western Counties middleweight champion after defeating big-hitting Dylan Powell.
WESTON Boxing Club’s reputation must be increasing as opponents are now failing to turn up.
Firstly Scott Davey’s opponent did not arrive at Henbury, Bristol, and Oliver Giddings’ opponent failed to turn up at Shepton Mallet.
However, Liam Hunt’s opponent Dylan Powell, did turn up for this Western Counties Championship middleweight final contest.
Powell, a renowned big puncher, pressed forward from the bell, but Liam tucked up tight not allowing anything to penetrate his guard, before counter attacking with some good shots.
You may also want to watch:
On returning to his corner, Hunt was told how well he was doing. This affected the second round as he went out blazing, which left himself open, but still managed to advance his lead.
In the final round, Hunt boxed intelligently and took all three rounds from the ringside judges, with the MC announcing Hunt as the Western Counties middleweight champion.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Hunt now goes on to the nationals on Saturday at Feltham, London, where he faces another tough opponent from Harlseden, Jamal Akay, whose record is 13 wins from 14 bouts.
Sheridan Davey, a former popular heavyweight boxer for Weston, completed his full coaches’ course, passing with flying colours. Weston ABC now has four full coaches, one assistant coach and two volunteer coaches, so if you wish to be trained by this elite team, please contact John on 07786 371164.