Local skiers find good form
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club members George Case and Max Schubert have enjoyed good form in local races in France.
AVON Ski Club, based at Mendip Snowsport Centre in Churchill, has started the snow season well, with three members competing in races in France and Switzerland.
George Case and Max Schubert have been based in the French resort of Meribel, since before Christmas, and have been entering some local races with the Meribel Ski Club.
After a shaky start, George won his second GS race out of 92 French children and Max came 65th. This was repeated in the new year competition with George finishing seventh and eighth out of over 100 children and was second in his age group.
Max finished 26th and 42nd, being in an older age range this season. George was selected to ski for the Meribel Under-14 team in an inter three valleys club race and came third, helping the Meribel Club to win the overall trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Both George and Max travelled to the Anglo/Scottish races in Les Houches and were joined by Michael Harvey. Michael won the Under-12s dual slalom and George came 15th and sixth in the GS and SL races.
In the second half of races, George was fourth in the slalom and Michael was ninth in the Under-12s with Max 13th in the same race.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 4 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
Training, including the new Satellite Club for those wishing to start to race train, takes part between 6-8pm every Tuesday at the Mendip Snowsports Centre in Churchill. Just turn up or phone 07721 594676 and ask for Fraser.