Long bow meeting at Berrow
The annual Coastal Archers British Long Bow Society (BLBS) Somerset meeting was held at the playing fields in Berrow.
THE annual Coastal Archers British Long Bow Society (BLBS) Somerset meeting was held at the playing fields in Berrow.
Hosted by the local club Coastal Archers and their members, a Weston Round tournament for some 40 plus men women and junior archers from around the south west region and was held in difficult weather conditions.
Shooting commenced at 10 target bosses on each side of the field at a distance of 60 yards, then alternating back and forth shooting six arrows at a time. At the 48th arrow point, the archers took a break and then resumed with the next 48 arrows at a reduced distance of 50 yards.
All 96 arrows were completed in extreme weather conditions from sunny to mainly torrential downpours which held up shooting for a short period of time.
You may also want to watch:
The winners of the Weston Tournament were – ladies: Mavis Reynolds, 324 points; Christine Oaks, 289. Gentlemen: Dave Williams, 480; Dave Smith 462. The junior winner was Matthew Gash with 122.
While the scores were being verified, Coastal Archers own Lady Paramount Sue Lawless engaged the gathering with a host of raffle prices and completed the tournament with the formal presentation of prizes.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
Results - John & Margaret Lewis Trophy (most golds): Scott Williams; Worst White Trophy (Cup): Karen Williams; Most Petticoats Trophy: Bill Reynolds; Chris Britton Memorial Trophy (lady most greens): Irene Coles; Tim Pattermore Conservation Award (gent most greens): Harry Dunn.
Coastal Archers is a local club meeting at Berrow and Mark. They have competitive and non-competitive archers. Bow types used are recurve (Olympic) compound, longbow, flat bow and bare bow. Anyone interested in beginners’ courses, there is further information at www.coastalarchers.co.uk