Low scoring victory for Burnham

Hands holding rugby ball

Hands holding rugby ball - Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images

Burnham triumphed in a low-scoring encounter with Berry Hill.

Burnham 6 pts

Berry Hill 0 pts

BURNHAM’S preparation for this game was not helped with the absence of key forwards Alan House and George Scott, who were both on holiday.

Stuart Blake was working away and Bryan Webb, who broke his leg last week, looks set to have his rugby career cut short after having pins put in.

You may also want to watch:

Burnham’s resources were stretched to the point where they drafted in 47-year-old second row Arron Rees and also having to put utility back Tim Piper to No 8 along with Elisi Vunipola to scrum-half.

Burnham started the strongest and were rewarded with several scrums on Berry’s line which resulted in three penalties and in the end elected to kick for three points which was converted by Rio Cooper.

Most Read

Burnham were denied a try when the referee deemed the ball had been held up, but the hosts doubled their lead with another penalty by Cooper.

The weather took a turn for the worst after the break and was making a flowing game difficult. Burnham tightened up their defence and young Ben Stacey made some heroic tackles and a try-saving take at a line-out.

Burnham held out for a solid win and have now won four out of their last five games. On Saturday, Burnham are away to Bristol Harlequins.

Somerton 29 pts

Burnham 2nd XV 7 pts

WITH captain Matt Slater still out through injury, vice-captain Lee Berry led a young second team, with an average of 22 down to Somerton.

The game, played in poor conditions, suited the home team whose somewhat rounder set of forwards used the elements to their advantage against a young set of forwards. Somerton took an early lead and after persistent pressure, the home side were 17-0 up at half-time.

After the break, Burnham attacked on numerous occasions, but the final execution was let down by poor handling errors.

After several phases, Burnham were awarded a penalty and kicked for touch. By winning the line-out the Burnham forwards gained ground for Mike Nash to whip the ball out to Will Conway, who committed his opposite number and slipped the ball to Whitfield to score under the post which Conway converted.

Persistent handling errors allowed the home side to run in another two tries with one conversion giving a final score on 29-7.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter