Luke is South West foil champion
- Credit: Archant
Luke Mason became the South West Foil champion and goes on to the national championships in May
BROADOAK Mathematics and Computing College student Luke Mason competed in the boy’s Under-14 South West Qualifiers Foil event.
The 13-year-old fenced two rounds of pools undefeated, gaining a first place seeding, before steadily fencing through three rounds of direct elimination to become the champion.
He was up against some of the best the south west region has, including the renowned Bath Sword Club and Cornwall’s excellent Truro club.
He fenced with confidence and style along with a great sense of timing, catching his opponents by surprise. He will be representing the South West in Sheffield for the British Youth Championships in May and will also be competing in the epee qualifiers in February.
You may also want to watch:
Luke trains at a friendly local club in Churchill on Wednesdays (7-9pm), which accommodates the three weapons of fencing. Contact Des Sloyan on 01934 852627 or 07949 424353 for more details.
- 1 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 2 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 3 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 4 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 5 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 6 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 7 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal