Luke qualifies for British championships
- Credit: Archant
Fencer Luke Mason has qualified for the British Youth Championships in May.
TWELVE-year-old fencer Luke Mason took second place at the South West Under-14 qualifying foil event.
The Broadoak Mathematics and Computing College student went up an age category to the under-14s. This did not deter Luke, as he won two pools and beat every opponent in the DE (direct elimination) to reach the final.
Luke demonstrated some outstanding fencing using fast footwork to his advantage, along with great timing, but unfortunately lost to an older adversary for the runners-up spot.
The result ensures that Luke can enter the British Youth Championships held in Sheffield in May. He will compete in the foil and epee categories.
You may also want to watch:
Luke trains at Churchill Fencing Club on Wednesday evenings (7-9 pm). For more information, contact Des Sloyan on 01934 852627.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 4 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 9 Pilot dairy facility opens in food innovation centre
- 10 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers