Maddy wins SW title
A team of three skiers from Backwell School won the SW schools skiing title.
THE 2012 South West Schools Championships, held on the artificial slope at Gloucester, were more successful for local schools and students than last year.
Seven schools from North Somerset were represented and all of them were ably supported by Avon Ski Club for both training and help on the day.
The championships are split into two sections, primary (years 4/5/6) and secondary (years 7-13) and then into boys and girls. Each racer has three timed runs and the best two times are added together for the scoring time. For the team events, a school must provide at least three racers of any age mix and any mix of boys and girls.
In the secondary school competition, the overall winners were Backwell School, consisting of Georgina Cooper, Christian Plaster, and Emma Harper, closely followed by a team from Chew Valley Secondary. In the primary school competition Kewstoke Primary were unable to hold onto last year’s third position.
You may also want to watch:
In the individual competition for secondary school age pupils, year 9/10 girls’: Maddy Brown, Churchill School 1st; year 9/10 boy’s: Christian Plaster, Backwell 2nd; year 11/12/13 girls’: Georgina Cooper, Backwell 2nd; top novice: Emma Harper, Backwell.
In the primary school years 4/5/6 section – boy’s: George Case, Sherborne Prep, and a regular racer with Avon Ski Club 1st; girls’: Lauren Black, Kewstoke Primary, 3rd.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Also represented were Herons Moor Primary School, Gordano Secondary School and St Mary’s Primary, Portbury.
Two of Avon’s seven-year-olds competed in the years 4/5/6 section, Callum Black from Kewstoke, coming a commendable 14th in the boy’s and Oliver Ingram from Herons Moor Primary, coming 32nd.
With over 20 racers, Avon Ski Club’s representation was by far the largest of the ski clubs and the starting gate was ably marshalled and run by ASC members Malcolm Plaster, Peter Kennell and Fraser Black.
Avon Ski Club supports and trains skiers of all ages and helps to make racing a fun and worthwhile sport for all ages, especially children. To have a go at skiing, come along on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Avon Ski Centre, Lyncombe Drive, Sandford, or contact Fraser Black on 07721 594676.