Marc wins on his return
- Credit: Archant
Three members of Weston Team Savage Mixed Martial Arts Academy made the journey to one of the South West’s Premier MMA events.
THREE members of Weston Team Savage Mixed Martial Arts Academy made the journey to one of the South West’s Premier MMA events.
First up was Marc Aplin, who was making was return to the cage after taking a three year break from the sport to acquire his BA in English Literature.
Marc had won his last two fights by stoppage in the first round and so expectations were high, despite the hiatus. Despite his opponent’s size advantage, Marc was quickly able to reverse a takedown attempt and gain dominant position early on.
Nearing the end of the first round, Marc was able to secure an armbar submission and his opponent was forced tapped at 2.57 of the first round, meaning Marc picked up where he left off.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Ball won by decision following a dominant three round brawl where his strong takedown defence and knees from the clinch, meant the decision going his way was never in doubt.
Paul Livingstone put on a fantastic performance, fighting a strong opponent from Spain and taking the first round, but was caught with an armbar late into the second round.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 8 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 9 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 10 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
The Team’s coach, Alex Owen who retired with a 21-1 record and having beaten fighters who are today active in the UFC, said: “It takes a strong person to enter the cage, and an even stronger one to fight at the level my fighters did. I am a very proud coach.”
The Team Savage Academy has been in operation since 2001 and has produced a host of world champion MMA fighter; and trained champion fighters in almost discipline, including submission wrestling, European kickboxing, ABA boxing, karate, Thai boxing, freestyle wrestling and many more.