Mark and Bobby win men’s event at Uphill
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club held its annual men’s tournament at the Hans Price Academy.
Uphill Badminton Club held its end of season men’s tournament at the Hans Price Acadmemy
After a hotly-contested nights play in a round robin box of eight, making up 28 games, the results could not have been closer. The handicaps worked out well and all pairs won at least one game.
After many close scores, the top four pairs made up the semi-final positions. This lined up as Paul and Tony (-3) against Mark andBobby (0), and Robin and Bill (-2) versus Billy and Archit (0).
The first semi was a thriller, and after going point for point pretty much the whole way, Mark and Bobby edged it to win 21-19. In the second semi, it was equally as close and Robin and Bill pipped Billy and Archit 21-19.
You may also want to watch:
This set up a grand final which saw Robin and Bill (-2) take on Mark and Bobby (0).
In a tight match there was rarely more than two points in it. From 13-13, Mark and Bobby forged ahead and clinched the final 21-18 to take the title.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 8 New leadership team for charity
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
Thanks were given to Robin and Mark for their organisation.
Uphill men’s team finished their season with two crucial home matches.
The first match saw Uphill take on runaway league leaders Academy. The team of Zakir Hussain, Dennis Tsang, Bill Ponting and Tony Wilsher Day put up a good fight against the top team.
The first two rubbers of the night went to three games, with Zakir and Dennis and Bill and Tony losing out in both. After that, the Academy just held the edge until the final rubber of the evening, where Bill and Zakir combined well to win a tight three-setter and avoid the whitewash.
The men’s final match of the season saw them take on Mark and in a tight match, the two teams could not be separated ending at three rubbers each.
The team of Paul Wright, Craig Piper, Bill Ponting and Bobby John gave their all in a match that was crucial to the team’s final position.
Player of the night was Bobby, who won all three of his rubbers to help secure the draw. This result leaves Uphill currently in second place with 28 points from their eight games.
It is now a waiting game to see if Mendipway in third place can gain six points or more from their last two games for the race for the second promotion slot up to Division 1.