Mark earns gold medal in Hereford
- Credit: Archant
Weston’s Marc Aplin won gold in the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu final at the Hereford Open.
WESTON’S Marc Aplin has taken a gold medal in his weight class at one of the country’s most distinguished Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions, the Hereford Open.
The tournament was run in a knockout style where competitors must either force their opponent to submit or earn victory following the IBJJF’s point-based system.
After four closely-fought matches, Marc met William Haycox in the final who, in addition to racking up 17 gold medals at various competitions in the past year and being 7-0 in mixed martial arts, had beaten him narrowly in a recent competition.
The match was a back-and-forth-affair, William having the slight strength advantage and Marc having the better movement. In the end, Marc was able to bring the gold back to Weston with a 4-2 win in a non-stop contest full of transitions and submission attempts.
You may also want to watch:
Marc said: “Fighting Will again and managing to get the win is something that means more to me than the gold medal. I watched him walk through his opponents in the Bournemouth Open recently and quickly found myself agreeing with everybody else there that he is something special. The fact I was able to beat him, I guess, shows me a lot about my own talent and abilities.”
Marc continues to train hard under former British MMA champion, Alex Owen, and with Jiu Jitsu black belt, Ian Rossiter.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course