Mark stars for Banwell
Mark Biggs stars for Banwell and Churchill with bat and ball.
AT 118-5 after 30 overs, things were not looking great for Banwell and Churchill against Evercreech.
Mark Biggs was steadily accumulating runs, but the rest of the top order had fallen away as Ough led the Evercreech bowling with accuracy and movement, his spell of 8-2-17-1 had forced the Banwell batsmen to force the score at the other end resulting in two wickets each for Reed and White.
Nick Wilson entered the fray and after blasting 13 off the first over he faced, he raced away to reach 50 after only 10 overs at the crease – his first 50 in club cricket.
Biggs joined with the demonstration of shot making, those 10 overs yielded a 100 partnership before Ough bowled Wilson the score had flown to 218-6. Dom Bush, down the batting order after his late arrival, kept Mark Biggs company for the remaining five overs, this partnership adding 44 runs.
You may also want to watch:
Biggs finished not out on 113, a magnificent effort on a track where the ball had moved about throughout and Banwell and Churchill had accumulated a massive 262-6.
Although Evercreech mounted a worthy attempt, they were never up with the run rate and lost wickets steadily. Evercreech were bowled out for 177 after 35 overs, leaving Banwell and Churchill the winners by 85 runs.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 4 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 8 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 9 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 10 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
All the Banwell bowlers chipped in with wickets, but it was Biggs’ day. He led the returns with three of the wickets.
Bowling: Biggs 7-0-36-3; M Pye 7-1-30-2; Pearson 8-0-52-2; Bush, Eckett and Langley all took one wicket.
? Banwell and Churchill Cricket Club are now enjoying the benefits carried out over the winter months with improvements to both the pavilion and square.
The club has seen a resurgence in interest and involvement from its members and is looking to recruit more players.
It runs two sides on a Saturday, but also this year a Sunday team is playing friendly fixtures as well as an Under-13 team playing matches on a Thursday evening.
If you would like to play for this friendly club please phone Chris Masters on 07778 644969.