Mark triumphs in singles final at Cheddar
- Credit: Archant
Mark Rickard won the men’s singles title at Cheddar, defeating John Lloyd in the final.
CHEDDAR Tennis Club held its annual championship finals day in glorious autumn sunshine which brought many club members along to enjoy some sparkling tennis and fine fare too.
Veterans’ singles matches opened and closed the event, with Helen Mercer defeating Rosemary Gilling to win the ladies’ final in the first contest and Roger Dennis beating Sohail Syed in a pulsating three setter to take the men’s title in the last match of the day.
The men’s singles final became a battle of contrasting styles and Mark Rickard’s powerful topspin shots proved too strong for John Lloyd’s cunning slices, Mark winning in straight sets.
The ladies’ singles also produced a straight sets victory, Claire Lacy defeating Olivia Evans in another absorbing match.
You may also want to watch:
In the doubles finals, Cheddar’s teenage girls were too strong for their more experienced opponents. Amy Rossiter partnered Vanessa Brill to victory over Rachel Rossiter and Juliet Knight in the doubles and then teaming up with Richard Grey to take the mixed doubles title against Alan Foster and Juliet Knight.
The men’s doubles final saw a win in two sets for Sohail Syed and Andy Means over Chris Rogers and Alan Foster.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 5 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 6 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 7 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 10 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
Tournament organiser Roger Dennis presented trophies to all the winners and thanked Paula Virgo and Arthur Brown for providing the refreshments.
The players are now turning their attention to the North Somerset Winter League in which Cheddar are fielding three strong mixed teams and a veterans team. Anyone interested in playing, whether league matches or good social tennis, should contact club chair Jennie Colton on 01934 742703 or visit www.cheddartennisclub.co.uk