Martin’s unique double
Burnham’s Martin Hoyland has won a unique double, winning the county tennis and badminton titles.
MARTIN Hoyland has managed to win a unique double, taking both the men’s Somerset County Closed 2011 tennis and badminton titles.
Martin, who plays for the Avenue Tennis Club first team, managed to beat Craig Phillips in the Somerset finals in June and then went on to win the county closed doubles with Craig.
Although Martin has always been a good badminton player, he has never put in the same amount of training that he has for tennis. The county finals were held at Crewkerne Sports Centre where Martin won his box group, including against eventual losing finalist David Weekes from Portishead, without losing a game.
The knockout stages proved to be a little more difficult with Martin losing the first games in the quarter-finals and the final, but managed to up his game to become county champion.
You may also want to watch:
His father Phil was most pleased with this achievement, saying he found it a quite unique double as he is not a member of a badminton club, nor does he train or play with the county squad.
The Avenue club will also be holding a junior tennis camp, daily from 9am-4pm, during the next school holiday (October 24-28). Forms are available at the club or from the website.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 10 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
On October 23, the club will be holding the Ron Hines Memorial social mixed doubles competition which all are invited to come along and play. Play will start at 11am, after the rugby world cup final, which will also be shown on the club’s large screen.
The club are also due to release a new membership deal which will run from November 11 to March 12 and will include free coaching on a Saturday afternoon. Please see website (www.avenuetennis.com) for details.