Mason scores a brace to help Pumas to victory

Nathan Sharpe.

Nathan Sharpe. - Credit: Archant

Priory Pumas United Under-12s ran out narrow 2-1 winners at home to Nailsea Athletic.

PRIORY Pumas United Under-12s immediately took the game to Nailsea Athletic and going on to win 2-1.

Good passing and attacking play saw early shots on goal from Myron and Mason that were just wide of the mark. The rest of the first-half saw some sound attacking play from both teams, the score remained goal-less at half time.

After the break, United again came out looking for the win and following some good build-up play by Jack M, Myron and Elliott, Mason scored the opening goal.

Nailsea replied by equalising, but a hand ball in the Nailsea penalty area gave United a penalty, but captain Owen was denied by a great save by the Nailsea keeper.

You may also want to watch:

Further attacks by Priory saw Myron brought down just outside the box and a great free kick by Elliott, allowed Mason to bag his second goal.

Man of the match went to Priory keeper Tom for some great saves.

Most Read

WESTON Town Under-13s gave a sterling second half performance against promotion rivals Axbridge to run out 6-0 winners.

Axbridge started the brighter of the two teams and only last-minute challenges from the backline of Swires, Sharp, Manaton and Murphy kept the scores level. Snell in goal looked accomplished, often acting as a sweeper.

Eventually Weston got going and a good pass from Pritchet found Bambury in the area and got his shot away into the roof of the net.

Straight from kick-off in the second half, Maidment forced Axbridge into an error and the ball broke to Murphy who played through Heal to make it 2-0. Two minutes later, Kelly played in Thomas to beat the keeper.

Heal was on target again a few minutes later to make it 4-0, before he turned provider allowing Pritchet to fire in number five. Thomas completed the second half rout after Large played in Thomas for the final goal.

Man of the match went to Manaton for a commanding defensive display.

The Under-15s came into this game hoping to end a run of two defeats and avenge the narrow loss in their previous league encounter with Burnbridge.

Weston started well and forced a number of corners which Shaun Fairhurst delivered into the danger area causing mayhem with defenders and goalkeeper.

Weston continued to press and were awarded a free kick just outside the 18-yard box, after Sam Webb was clattered by two Burnbridge defenders. Harry Crowley stepped up and put the ball into the top corner of the net.

Burnbridge tried to respond, but could only manage one real attack on the Weston goal which David Mochan and the back four dealt with. Weston doubled their lead when Crowley scored from another free kick.

Burnbridge pulled a goal back to make their half-time score 2-1, despite Weston having a goal disallowed.

The second half was a tighter affair with both teams having chances. Midway through the second half Sam Webb Owen Kent came on and Weston held out for the 2-1 victory.

It was fitting that Harry Crowley was awarded man of the match award.

WESTON Crusaders Under-13s travelled to Nailsea United and came up against stubborn and hard-working opposition.

A tight first-half saw Nailsea sneak into the lead from a penalty. Charlie headed in Ben’s corner before a swift counter attack saw the home side take the lead again, but a superb chest and volley from James meant teams were all square before Jake’s cross was deflected on to the post and Charlie poked the ball home to take a 3-2 lead.

Jake hit the bar and Charlie hit the post and other efforts from James and Ben also went close as Crusaders started to dominate.

A combination of some improved graft and defending in the second half from Ethan, Blondie and Thomas, safe hands from Harry in goal and better possession and distribution from Aidan, Snedds, Tommy and Joel, ensured Crusaders held on to take all three points in an entertaining finish.

Man of the match went to Aidan.

UPHILL Castle Under-16s travelled to first division Winscombe in the quarter-final of the cup.

A great turn and shot from inside the six-yard area saw Winscombe take the lead after four minutes, but Uphill stuck to the task and levelled after a great run and finish by Elliman.

Uphill conceded two goals in two minutes, the second one particularly unlucky, as Major’s low save saw the ball spin up and in off the post.

Uphill kept battling and would have equalised if Sharpe’s goalbound effort was not kept out by a Winscombe block. Bromley was felled in the box, but Elliman’s well struck spot kick was saved by the keeper.

Coggy played the pass of the day, finding Teebone, whose fine touch and shot gave Uphill hope as they got their second, but Winscombe went on to win 4-2.

Seymour Roofing man of the match was Nathan Sharpe.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter